An open letter to my out of state college best friend.

An Open letter to my College Best friend From Out Of State

"There are alligators every where!" - Paige Spitsberg on Florida, 2015.

112

College is one of the biggest milestones in your life. It's the beginning of many adventures and rude awakenings you weren't ready for. Well, my college career didn't start off so great as much as I hoped for. It began at a small, private university isolated in an affluent town in South Florida. The only reason why I chose to even attend this school in the first place was due to the fact that they offered me scholarships, which turned out to be a deal with the devil in the end.

My only semester there was enough for me to transfer out immediately.

My advisor told me I wouldn't amount to anything. I continuously contracted food poisoning from the cafe. Out of the 17 credits I was taking, only 1 transferred out despite the fact that they assured me all my credits would transfer. My roommate broke my MacBook Pro when she hosted a party without my knowledge. The major I anticipated getting a degree in becoming non-existent. I got into a car accident. I was rejected from the colleges that originally accepted me. I was surrounded by privileged individuals who hoisted themselves on a pedestal and looked down on others around them.

The beginning of what was supposed to be the best four years of my life became the most traumatic experience. Through it all, the only college experience I did enjoy was being able to meet my college best friend.

Quite frankly, I can't imagine my limited time there being any other way. We made the best out of the worst situation possible. I'll always be thankful that our friendship blossomed from solely meeting up in IBC to daily lunches and dinners while getting attacked by ducks. I hate those ducks.

Or going to the pumpkin patch, attempting the corn maze, and drinking fake apple cider. Or hiding from the one kid who longboards across campus to say hi too creepily to us. Or when we finally moved out and decided on our last moment down the hall we ran and knocked on everyone's door as a dumb prank because, why not? Or when we randomly decided to go to Orlando for a day. Or the countless questions regarding the spectrum of comparing Fort Lauderdale and Kalamazoo. Or the one time we went to the beach straight after math class. Or on our last day how we screamed a little too loud in the hallway because we were so happy our time there was finally over.

I do miss the questions and statements you would say about Florida, "Do Floridians celebrate Christmas?" "You get your apples from the store? Why?" "What does bop mean?" "Why do Floridians drive so Crazy?" "Is there an alligator in there?" "You guys don't cut your own Christmas trees?" "Why are your Steak & Shakes so far?" "You guys don't have apple cider?" "Do you guys decorate palm trees for Christmas?" "Ope!" "You went on a field trip here [Everglads National Park] as a fourth grader?" "Why do you call it soda? It's pop." "Pretend my hand is a mitten. Detroit is here, by the thumb and I live here, but this line on my hand."

Being there felt like a lifetime. They say the best that you can always do is just to simply move on, never look back, and try to look on the brighter side of things. I'm a firm believer that the universe had bigger plans for us –– still do. It does suck that we won't ever be roommates during undergrad, go to the bars together on trivia nights, and whatever shenanigans that could've happened but, we'll always be friends for a lifetime, and that's something.

A friend who realistically, I only knew for a mere four months but felt like as if we've known each other for years. You're more than just a semester friend, and that's a lot. We were two completely different people and yet we're one and the same.

Keep being the funny, kind, and odd person you are, Spitsberg.