5 Tips For Any Student Approaching Finals Week

It's that time of year again, but don't worry. You are not alone!

31

It’s that time of the year again.

It’s that time of the year again. Everyone is getting ready for Christmas, being festive and happy while you spend countless of hours in the library trying frantically to cramp in another all-nighter. Oh, the joys of finals week. Nothing makes you contemplate your life choices more than cumulative exams. Unfortunately, just getting up, going to the airport and never coming back is not an option for most of us. And so we will just have to endure the torture of the end of the semester until we can finally go home where we will most likely forget everything we just learned.

Having made it through my undergraduate studies surviving finals week and now preparing for finals in my graduate studies (which make my final exams before seem like a joke) there are some things I have learned that have helped me get through it.

1. You are not alone

This is probably the best thing to realize. You are not going through this alone. Your friends, classmates, and even your co-workers are in the same boat as you. Everyone is stressed and just trying to make the best of the situation. Be kind and sympathetic to those around you and you’d be surprised at what might come back to you. Having karma on your side in times like these can never hurt!

2. Grades aren't everything

I used to believe that my worth was determined by my grades. And while I still struggle with it from time to time, I have realized that grades say nothing about who I am as a person. Even if you are going to fail that test or do not as well as you were hoping, it’s not the end of the world. Yes, your grades might matter if you are trying to get into a top graduate school, but I promise you no one will ever ask why you flunked your geology final. What is more important is that you learned something. Grades don’t really measure your intelligence.

3. Be kind to your body – don't keep pulling all-nighters

As tempting as it might be to continue studying just a bit longer, don't. Give your body and your brain the break it deserves. Make sure you stay hydrated and eat a balanced diet. These factors can hugely impact your studies. Getting enough sleep every night is one of the most important things during this crucial time. If you don’t look after your body, you will have a much harder time focusing on your studies.

4. Take breaks and do something fun

No person can study for ten hours a day over the duration of several weeks and not go insane. It’s just not possible. Not only should you take little study breaks throughout the day but take one day a week where you do something else entirely. On Sunday’s I catch up on my laundry, do some grocery shopping and go out to spend time with my friends. This helps me recharge and I am ready for the next round of studying. Taking your mind off things will help you refocus again.

5. Get rid of any distractions

Whether that would be your phone, your roommates, or a big window that keeps drawing your attention, try to avoid it as best as possible. Find a space in which you are able to fully concentrate without the least amount of distractions. Being truly focused will allow you to get things done much more efficiently. Also by not wasting time, you will be able to maybe do something else at the end of the day.

While it may seem that this time of year will never come to an end, it will happen quicker than you might realize right now. You got this! Kick those finals in the butt and then take a well-deserved break.