To The Teacher Who Pushed And Inspired Me

You have changed the lives of many, and those many may change the world.

32
Unsplash

I must admit, in my grade school years, I had many great teachers. I had teachers who pushed me, teachers who loved me, teachers who inspired me, and teachers who were my family. However, with the great number of teachers I had, there are a few who went above and beyond. Those came with a special amount of inspiration and an unending desire to honor their outpouring into my life.

This is for the teacher who pushed me to think beyond what is seen, to think outside the box. The teacher who, even when I could not see it, pushed me to be great in things I thought of myself as average. I can never understand why you choose me of all people to groom to become a person who can become something, but I do know I would have dwindled out on many assignments, activities and leadership opportunities if it weren’t for the inspiration of your belief in me. I can never be truly thankful enough.

You challenged me. You challenged me to be the best. You challenged me to go above the average. You challenged my mind and for someone who can become bored easily with the mundane thoughts of people, you brought life and new ideas. This is probably one of the most precious gifts you have given me.

As Albert Einstein said, ”It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” You, my beloved teacher, have accomplished that in the most astounding way.

Even in college, I think back to how you believed in me. Even through the classes, I think I cannot make it through, I think of your belief that I can be successful. I think of this and I press on. I am inspired by your love, allowing me to keep moving forward. In the toughest class, on the day I just “can’t study anymore,” when I feel like the world is just going to crash any moment, I think of you and how you are waiting to hear that I have become something.

And most importantly, I know I will become something not because of my innate abilities, but because you saw those abilities and pulled them out. You pulled out leadership, logical thinking, the ability to fight for what I believe in. The love for literature and knowledge and communication, you pulled those out. You have inspired my God-given gifts. You have allowed me to learn to shape them and use them for His glory.

I know I should keep in touch more. For someone who is so inspired by you, I do a terrible job of showing you the amount of appreciation you deserve. But honestly, there is no way to even articulate the amount of appreciation I have for you. You are the reason for so much of the success in my life. You are the person I am inspired by to become something I never thought I could be, but most importantly the best at that.

You should give yourself more credit. What I see most is that you, even in your incredibly inspiring state, do not even realize the impact you have made. I know this because I know I am not the only one who was presented the pleasure of learning these great things from you. I can go back, even now, and know that the students you teach are forever changed.

The students whose lives you touched are now enlightened by your belief in them and their abilities. So give yourself more credit. You have changed the lives of many, and those many may change the world.

“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” –William Arthur Ward