A Letter To The Person I Was A Year Ago

A Letter To The Person I Was A Year Ago

So much can happen in a year...

79
A Letter To The Person I Was A Year Ago
DisruptiveViews.com

Dear you,

I can’t even begin this letter with “dear me,” because I am not you, just like you are not me. I know it’s hard to fathom that in a year’s time you will have become a totally different person, but that is exactly what’s happened. As I am writing this you are sitting in a hotel room with mom, practically on the verge of a breakdown wondering if you can actually do this. You can, and you will. The journey that you are about to start is a crazy one, so take a deep breath and hold on darling.

It’s going to be tough. I’m not going to lie to you. You aren’t going to be the smartest person in a class, any of your classes for that matter. You’re going to have to work your tail-end off for those grades, and you’re going to have to ask for help. I know that’s not in your nature, but receiving that C+ on that essay you thought deserved an A will drive you to your professor’s office hours. You’re going to have to learn to bite your tongue in some situations. I know there is nothing you would like more than to smack some truth into your totally biased liberal professor’s lecture, but when your grade depends on it, you’re going to need to pick your battles. Don’t worry though, you’ll find the right times to let your Republitarian (Republican and Libertarian) views shine.

You aren’t going to be best friends with your roommates. I know right now it seems like you and at least one of them are destined to be lifelong friends, but that’s just not the case. The three of you (the fourth bed goes through a few different occupants) are completely different people and your personalities will clash more times than I’d like to admit. Know that no matter how it seems in the moment, the two of them are really great girls and also realize that it is so much easier to just talk it out. They won’t understand your quirks and you won’t understand theirs, but just know that in the end you’ll only want to wish them the best. The good news is, that the final occupant of the fourth bed will turn out to be an amazing friend. She’ll listen to you, support you, and pick you up when you’re feeling down. She’s definitely a lifelong friend.

Speaking of lifelong friends you’ll meet your shitshow of a best friend right off the bat. However, it will take a while to realize that the girl across the hall from you is one of the pieces missing from your life. She’s kind of awkward, a little needy, and is sortof a grandma when it comes to sleep, but she’s the greatest. She will become your lifeline and is probably the reason you didn’t completely lose it second semester. Oh, and she’ll come over and steal your food, be prepared for that.

You will miss home, but Keuka will also become your home. You will find yourself referring to Keuka as “home,” when you are back in the North Country on break, and you will refer to the North Country as “home” when you’re back at Keuka. It’s honestly the strangest thing, but it’s a good thing. You will adjust fine, despite people doubting you, and unfortunately the naysayers won’t go away. You will just get stronger and learn to tune them out. That’s one of the biggest accomplishments and the thing that changes you into the person I am. Do you still take things others say to heart? Yes, but you don’t allow their words to take residency anymore.

You will have to force yourself to speak more in class, you will need to do laundry at odd times, you will regret buying that textbook, and you will let go of a few grudges. You will say goodbye to some friendships, cut some toxic people from your life, and learn the importance of double checking your alarm. You will step way out of your comfort zone, go Socrates hunting late at night (and have the best time doing so), and you will paint a rather ugly sunset at “Painting without a Twist.” You will realize how the best conversations really do occur at 2 a.m, just how amazing snow days are in college, and how scary a dorm building is when there is no power. There are so many more lessons that will be learned, but I don’t want to spoil it for you. You truly will have an amazing time.

So, thank you for everything, because without you, I wouldn’t be me. Get ready for the time of your life, and fair warning the goodbyes don’t get any easier.

All the good vibes,

The Person You Are Today