To The Person Who Can't Make Words Yet, Here Are Some Words Of Wisdom

A letter to my nephew, Nolan.

357
Nick Ansay

Everyone has the member of the family that they find to be amazing. They love being around them, they love the energy they give off, and they love how much fun they can have. Well even though the family member I will be discussing can’t talk yet, I know one day he will read this and be thankful.

It was around a year ago that my family and I found out that my oldest sister was pregnant. I was shocked at first because I never knew she would be the first one to start to have a family. Our whole family was excited, and I was even more excited to become an uncle. I thought that this day would not come for a while but nine months later Nolan Carl was born.

I remember the text I received on that warm September day saying that my sister was in the hospital and that she is doing well. At that time we did not know what was going on and it was exciting and also never-racking at the same time. The day seemed to go by so slowly.

Every time my phone went off I would grab it as quickly as I could and I was disappointed that it was not my brother-in-law saying she had a baby. I forgot to mention that we did not know the gender of the baby, only my sister and her husband did.

It was around 8 p.m. when we finally got the text saying that Nolan was born and he and mom were doing amazing. I got in my car right away and drove to the hospital to finally get to see my nephew. I walked in to see my own mother crying and holding him.

Each one of my family members took turns holding him and I was tasked with picking up the pizza delivery that was coming because it was around dinner time and we were all hungry. Every day I went to visit my sister and him in the hospital because it was so exciting to have another addition to the family.

Fast-forward eight months and I can’t believe how big he has gotten. First of all he loves it when you make farting noises and he also loves to take the glasses of your face and play with them. It is also cute to see his teeth come in but it is not fun when he is crying because they also hurt.

He also learned how to pick himself up and start to stand on his own. I believe that he is a baby with super-powers but that is between me and you.

Many of you might be asking, why are you writing this? The main point that I want to make is that I want him to know that whatever you end up doing there is a family that will always be here to support you. I know that with transferring colleges, losing friends, and many other things I felt lost.

I also said, “Where did I go wrong?” The truth is, life wanted me to go down this path. Life wanted me to experience what I did to learn more about who I actually am and what I need to do better on.

So Nolan, I want to leave you with some words of wisdom from the best uncle ever. I want you to know that you are loved by everyone in your family. Secondly, whatever you want to do, we will always support you. Finally, never think that what you are doing is not enough.

You are always enough. You will do so many amazing things in your lifetime. You never know there might be flying cars by the time you turn 16. Anyways, I want you to know that you have an amazing family here to support you and no matter what happens, we will always love you.