A letter To The Millennial Who Thinks Being Competitive Is A Bad Thing

"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is"

27
FixTheJobs

Dear super laid-back and non competitive millennial,

It's time to realize that being overly cooperative will get you no where in life.

I'm tired of people telling me that I am overly competitive...as if that is a bad thing. Competition is healthy, and it's going to make me a better person at the end of the day. Competition promotes growth and makes me more driven. I am constantly aware that those around me are my competitors for internships, grad school, and careers. This doesn't mean that I surround myself with people who I don't consider as competition, or people that I think I am better than. It means the exact opposite. I choose to surround myself by people who want to grow, people who constantly want to improve, so that they can be the best possible version of themselves.

Being competitive isn't a bad thing, and just because I am competitive doesn't mean that I always have to win. Competition promotes a learning environment where losing is taken as an opportunity to realign goals, and refocus. Competition is everywhere in life, and the fact that you'd rather be cooperative than competitive really makes me feel bad for you. You think that everything in life is going to be fair, which isn't even close to being true. You think that it's cool not to care, cool not to try, and more important to have fun. While I agree that having fun is important, the two do not have to be independent of one another.

Being competitive makes me more goal oriented, helps me take chances, and prepares me for the real world. I understand that you just want to chill and enjoy these four years of college without really caring much about anything. However, that doesn't mean that you get to judge me for wanting to improve myself. These four years are flying by, and when it's all over... I will be the one who is ready for the real world. I will be able to set goals and achieve them. I will be able to recognize competition and realign my focus so that I will be successful.

I envy you for not caring about winning or being successful, because I'm sure it would de-stress my life if I thought that way. However, I'm the one who is growing and improving myself for the real world. I know that winning is everything, but I also know that wanting to win is what is going to separate me from you.

Thanks in advance for making my job search a lot easier :)