A Letter To Manchester Football

A Letter To Manchester Football

This is it, Lancers.
52

Dear Lancers,

Keep up that hard work. You are part of the nearly 100-year-old tradition that is Manchester football, and that's a pretty amazing thing to be a part of. The blood, sweat and tears that you put in will all be worth it in the end. This is our year for that State Championship, and I'm not just talking about the football team or the 2,000+ students currently attending the school. This is the year for us all: alumni, faculty, and those players and students yet to come. We've spent a long time being slept on, trash talked and underestimated, but that is no more. 2016 will be the year that this team stops being the underdog, and starts becoming the team to beat.

We don't sit out in those bleachers or stand on the sidelines because of how much money mommy or daddy donates to the school or to the football program. We aren't a part of the student section because we've already won three state championships and we're not going out there to insult the other school no matter how good they really are. We support our football team because we love our school, and our football team is successful because they play with their heart. Manchester is a family and more importantly a tradition, and it's so much more than just a high school football team. There is no amount of money or success that can equal tradition.

Manchester alumni from all around can agree that some of the best times in high school were spent under the Friday Night Lights. Whether you sat with the Lancer Lunatics, stunted on the sidelines or actually played football, there have been some unforgettable moments that made us all feel happy to be Lancers. This school, this family is set apart from the surrounding schools. There is simply no match for the tradition that surrounds this football team, and that tradition is evident the moment you walk in. It's an amazing feeling to be a part of this legacy.

There's really no feeling to describe how great it feels to go to your first game as a Manchester alumni. You enter the stadium and hear the familiar sound of the Lancer Band playing the fight song, and begin to sing along in your head. You see the team run out on to the field decked out in blue and orange and you are immediately reminded of the great memories you made at these games. You begin to remember the first time you watched Manchester play rivals Cosby or L.C. Bird. The stands filled up with hundreds of people ready to cheer the Lancers on to victory. No matter who won or lost, there's no doubt that there was a lot of passion on the Manchester side of the stadium.

So, to the Lancers fortunate enough to be playing their hearts out every Friday night: go get it. Do it for all of those before you that wish they could be playing alongside you right now. Get that Championship for the fans and students, old and new, that go out and support you until the bitter end of every game, win or lose. Thanks for making us proud, this is our year. L4L.