A Letter For The Insecure: It's Time To Get Real With Ourselves

The complexity of you is not something that you can touch or see on the other side of a mere reflective piece of glass. The complexity of you is something that those around you feel.

8

I was going to start this off by saying it's time to get real with you, but honestly I think it's also time to get real with myself.

The word above, that big word that starts with an "i", that's the word that defines me.

That's the word that I define myself as, at least.

Insecurities are the things that take over my day-to-day functioning, and I know for sure that I am not alone. Those insecurities aren't just things that make me degrade myself in my mind. They are things that make me stop what I'm doing, halt my path to wherever I am going, just because I feel like I don't belong, like I wouldn't fit in, like I'm not worthy.

If someone were to come up to me and tell me that they felt this way, I would easily tell them that they are crazy, that they are perfect for whatever or wherever it is they're going to, and send them merrily on their way. But anyone with insecurities can tell anyone else that it isn't that simple when it comes to yourself.

I have deep-rooted insecurities. Ones that stemmed from kindergarten, ones that I still base my actions and decisions on today. It's horrible that it becomes so hard to pick yourself up out of that hole you've dug for yourself, and it's even worse when it seems impossible to ever fully clean yourself of the dirt that's piled onto you over the years. It hurts when I see that I've dug so far into this insecurity that I truly can not function properly when it comes into play.

For many, these types of insecurities can range from how you view yourself, to how you think you act, to how you think you walk, to how you think you talk.

And, just as I said earlier, it is so easy for me to write and tell you that these thoughts are all crazy, that you're wrong. And it'll be true, but it won't be good enough for you. And I don't blame you. You are the most stubborn person you know because you beat yourself up the most. I get it.

And, you've probably heard this one before too, but just hear me out.

God made you in His very own vision of perfection. You are perfect in the eyes of God. YOU are perfect in the eyes of the man who made mountains, who brought light, who created the sky and the stars, who single-handedly created the beautiful, intricate, extravagant, complex, and surreal place that we call the Earth and seas. He made and brought Everything that we've ever known.

And God made you.

YOU are the epitome of perfection in God's eyes. He built you piece by piece. He gave you a place here on this Earth because He knew that you were worthy; He knew that the ground that He created needed you walking on it. God knew that with you - with your perfection and your knowledge and your abilities - the Earth He single handedly built would become better.

You are perfect in the eyes of the beholder. The eyes looking back at you in the mirror; those are the eyes that God knew would look at the world with a different, refreshing perspective. The mouth that you see in the mirror; that's the same mouth that God knew would speak amazing, worthy, meaningful things. And the beauty that radiates off of you; that is God's way of showing off His creation. You are God's daughter - you are God's son.

You are more than worthy, you are more than smart, and you are so much more than all of your insecurities.

You are the living, breathing version of the idea of perfection God had when he made you.

You are… you. Every single one of the adjectives used here sum up you.

So, when you look at you, think of how you are at a parallel with the sky, the ground, the seas (and everything in between) and their perfection. And then look at the intricacy of you. Those quirks that you don't see. The way you speak quickly and excitedly when you are passionate about something. The way your eyes light up when you see something you love. Think about the amount of detail put into you by God when He made you to be the vision of perfection He had in mind.

Now look at you again. Don't put yourself down. The complexity of you is not something that you can touch or see on the other side of a mere reflective piece of glass. The complexity of you is something that those around you feel.

But the perfection of you is everything. Everything you can't see, everything everyone else can see, everything that is felt by those around you, and every aspect of your nature; even your flaws.

Perfection is not in any way, shape, or form defined by a fixed meaning.

But you, in every way, shape, and form, are defined by just that single word which encompasses everything you are.

…

Perfect.