For The Girl Who's Always Single

For The Girl Who's Always Single

We all either have that one friend who is always single...or we are that friend.

854
For The Girl Who's Always Single
buzzfed

We all either have that one friend that is almost always single, or we are that friend. I happen to be the latter. We are the girls that spend the majority of our high school and college years living the single life and because of this, odds are, we are the most independent people we know. In my four years of high school, I had one relationship…it was my senior year and it barely lasted two months. I spent Friday and Saturday nights playing board games with my family, while all my other girlfriends were serial dating the baseball team. I remember listening to “Love Story” by Taylor Swift, alone, from inside the school bathroom, while everyone else slow danced with his or her date at the prom. But over time, it becomes just the norm for us. We aren’t afraid to be alone. Whether its going to the movies alone and ordering a large popcorn just for ourselves or telling the hostess at a restaurant that you only need a table for one. It isn’t awkward, and if you’re like me, you may have even learned to love it.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told that I need to “get out into the dating world” and “find out what I like in a guy.” I never understood this. I couldn’t imagine ever being the girl who goes out to dinner with a boy when I could be ordering pizza and playing "Just Dance” with my best friends. For the longest time I didn’t want to get romantically entangled with anyone, I just wanted to have a good time. I was what I like to call “chronically single.” For anyone else out there who can relate to anything I’ve said or can count their significant others in the last ten years on one hand, then you probably have been affected by this disease as well. Being “chronically single” has several side effects, some good and some, not so good. The biggest problem is the complacency that comes with it. We are so used to being by ourselves that we physically, mentally, and emotionally don’t know how to be with someone else.

However, one of the best parts is that we know ourselves inside and out. We know our likes and dislikes and have had plenty of time to figure out who we are, while lots of others our age are at the disadvantage that comes from letting themselves be defined by another human being. We are also very strong. At the end of the day when everyone is gone and it’s dark and quiet, if you can’t stand the stillness that comes from being truly alone with yourself, than you have a real problem. We have realized very early on that we’d much rather be alone, than with someone who isn’t right for us. Most people just can’t do that.

So embrace it, ladies! Don’t let society or anyone else tell you what you should be doing, you have the rest of your life to be in a serious relationship. The girls with a constant string of boyfriends will always be relying on someone else for their own happiness, and if there’s one thing that a “chronically single” girl knows, it’s that true happiness comes from learning to love yourself, first.