An Open Letter To My Gay Best Friend

An Open Letter To My Gay Best Friend

Love is love is love.

360
An Open Letter To My Gay Best Friend
Melinda Smith

It's not every day you find someone who becomes such an important aspect of your life. You care about every thing they do and every accomplishment they make. Every moment in their life becomes just as important to you as it is for them.

I have seen you blossom into a beautiful, smart human being. You have overcome so many troubles throughout your life I couldn't even imagine going through myself. I have learned, thanks to you, to chase my dreams and make them a reality.

When you decided to open up to me about your sexuality, I couldn't thank you enough. Nothing in the world would ever change the enormous amount of love I have for you. I felt honored to be the first one you shared that moment in your life with (thank you, Mrs. Eckert). I was so happy to finally see you as your true self and love yourself even more. No one should have to hide behind themselves because of what others may think of them. I promised you I would always be there for you and be by your side throughout this time in your life and far beyond.

Times weren't always the best for you. Acceptance was a void that wasn't being filled by some important people in your life and I did everything I could to comfort you. How could you let your best friend be in pain? You knew you had an amazing support system from your friends but they only saw the minimal side of what coming out truly meant to you. The biggest support system wasn't there for you at your time of need so I tried my best to make up for the empty void. I'm sure I didn't fill it completely, but I hope I helped you coax the pain and made it a little easier for you. Pain shook through my body when I would hear you cry over the phone. You were unable to continue a life you wanted to live because some people in your life were holding you back.

We continued to share our laughs, adventures, and times together as any best friends would. We got to gossip about the hottest girl you liked and how she was the perfect one for you. I never stop confiding in you. This moment in your life made us closer and I love hearing everything you tell me.

It gives me a great sense of relief and pleasure that those who weren't there four years ago are finally turning a leaf and accepting you for you. You have been able to live so comfortably recently and have made more friends who love you as much as I do. You are an amazing person who deserves nothing but the best in life. I pray you will find Mrs. Right one day and I'm excited to see where she will take you on your journey together. I am immensely proud of you and I am grateful to call you my best friend.

I love you.