Things Retail Workers Want You To Know...

...especially this holiday season.

14
Myself

The holiday season is upon us, people. Every Christmas tune from Bing Crosby's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," to the Pitch Perfect Holiday CD is playing in every retail store across the country. The checkout lines are long, parking lots are full, and the retail workers are exhausted. As a proud associate of a clothing store, I clock in each day ready to help each and every customer find the presents and outfits they have on their shopping lists. BUT, as a tired associate of a clothing store, these are the complaints and wishes that I find myself trying to telepathically convey to each customer that walks through the doors.

1. Please don't use the pole on your own. Please don't ignore the signs hanging next to them on the walls that read, "Please ask for assistance to retrieve items." Really, please ask for assistance. It's not that I care if you get it down on your own, because I really don't. I'm fully supportive of you independent shoppers. Just, please, for the love of Pete, don't let my manager see you do it. By doing so, you're setting me up for a meeting about being a helpful associate. So really, don't hesitate to come grab me. I'll get it down for you. It's OK!

2. If you don't want to take the time to hang the clothes right side out, then please don't hang them at all. Nothing is more upsetting than walking into a dressing room to find clothes hung up, but inside out. This just tacks on extra time for me to take the hanger off, pull the clothing back to right side out, rehang it, and then take it back to its original spot. I really would rather just do it all myself. Thanks for the effort, but next time, don't worry about it. That's what I'm here for.

3. If you need help finding something, let me know! My job is to walk around and refold clothes until you need my help finding something. At which point, I can snap out of whatever scenario I was thinking about as I blankly refold and begin showing you my knowledge of the store. I really enjoy helping you, I just can't make you let me help you. If you have a question, let me know! Please don't use the routine phrase "I'm just looking" if you're not, "just looking." I really don't mind helping you. Just let me know you need it! Again, that's what I'm here for.

4. No, we don't have any more in the back. With it being mid-holiday season, I promise we aren't hiding anything in the back room. And while we're on the topic...the back room is not a magical place for all clothing refills. We keep as much out as possible.

5. We have to pull all the stuffing out of this shoe box. This is one that always causes my cheeks to gain some color. I really hate to pull all of the tissue paper out of the box of shoes you're fixing to buy, but it's policy. I promise I don't think you've got things stashed in there to shoplift, it's just a mandatory procedure. Please don't hate me. I'm sorry...

6. PLEASE CHECK OUR STORE HOURS BEFORE YOU WALK IN AT NIGHT. PLEASE...PLEASE. Although we love helping you pick out all the clothes you could ever want, we love our personal lives, too. As the clock ticks closer and closer to closing time, I start getting antsy when you start shopping. Nothing hurts my heart like hearing the doorbell ring as you enter the store for a shopping spree three minutes before I'm allowed to lock the doors. We want you to shop with us, don't get me wrong...but could you come back tomorrow? We open at 9. And I'll be back, too and after a good night of sleep, I'll be a better help to you than I would be right now. So...wanna take a rain check?

7. Please remember that I'm a person, too. I love to shop and when I do, I always keep my eye out for the big sales and good deals. So, I totally know that you want to fight to get that shirt that looks like a sweater for the 30 percent off sweater sale. But that shirt is not classified as a sweater in our system. I'm really sorry, I know it stinks, but please, please don't try and convince me that it's a sweater. It's not. I can't give you the discount. And please don't get upset with me when there's nothing more I can do. And I know that you really like that pair of jeans, but we don't have them in store today. And I already checked online to see if I could order your size in them, but we're sold out there, too. I'm sorry. That's the end of the road for the pants. I can't do anything else about it. I know it's frustrating fighting the shopping crowds, but please don't take it out on me. The holiday shopping is frustrating for me, too.

Overall, please know that holiday shopping causes stress for both shoppers and workers. Remember those days back when you were in college, and you were working part time at that clothing store, or at that fast food restaurant, or at that grocery store. Know that my current job is not my full-time career. It's not my greatest ambition in life, nor my deepest passion, and it wasn't yours either. Remember how it felt to deal with a stressful job that was not your forever home, and treat me the way you wanted to be treated during your fair share of it. I promise to be fully committed to bringing you excellent customer service, despite being at work while missing my friend's birthday party, or despite having had a terrible day on campus. I will greet you with a smile, help you cross off the items on your shopping list, and send you on your way...just please be respectful towards me during that time.

Sincerely,

The Sales Associate.