The first week after the break up is going to be the hardest. You’re going to have to face the fact that things are different. It’s going to feel weird when you see him/her in and have to stop yourself from running up to them to tell them all about your day. It’s going to feel odd when you’re scrolling through Facebook or Instagram and see a meme that you would normally tag him/her in, but can’t. You’re going to have to constantly remind yourself that you guys are not dating anymore. At times you will probably feel waves of sadness. You might need to take multiple trips to the bathroom to cry throughout the day. Telling yourself to stay strong and push through will help, but there is no “right” way to make yourself feel better in those hard moments.

You’re going to have to get used not to hanging out with him/her. Whether you hung out every day or just a few times a week, it’s still an adjustment. You might feel sad when you get home and start thinking about your break-up. Try your hardest to get your mind off of it.

In my opinion, there’s not much advice you can give to someone with a broken heart. It doesn’t matter if you were dating for a month, a year, or 20 years, if you loved him/her, it’s going to hurt.

As time goes on, you will feel that same happiness you felt before your break-up. The happiness will come in waves and slowly you’ll feel a little more joy each day. But, just because time has passed and you feel better does not mean the pain is gone. You will have good and bad moments. Famous author, Rose Kennedy wrote, “It has been said, ‘time heals all wound.’ I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”

You have to look for the positive in every situation. In a few years from now, you might look back on this hard time and it still could hurt a little. But you’ll remember that you survived and came out stronger. Every time I go through something hard, I tell myself that the good thing about it is the fact that I will be able to overcome even harder obstacles/situations that life throws at me. Every tear you cry out and every emotion you feel is building up strength inside of you to be able to overcome anything. I know it hurts right now and I’m not going to promise everything will be okay with your ex, but I will promise that you can survive and you will gain more strength and become a stronger person.