To My First-Year Roommate, I'm Blessed You're Also My Friend

70% of one's first year college experience is based off of their relationship with their roommate.
148

I strongly believe that 70% of one's first-year college experience is based on their relationship with their roommate. Luckily, I was blessed with the BEST roomie I could’ve asked for. Ally, this one’s for you!

Dear Current Roomie,

First of all, I just want to say how nice and sincere of a person you are. You are always looking out for others and you inspire me to be a better person every day. Your kindness never goes unnoticed.

I have learned a lot about you. I know that you are insanely athletic, you won Prom Queen at your school, you love Sonic, and you make your bed every day, just like me. You can learn a lot about a person after living with them for two semesters of college.

Thank you for all of the times you came in at night, being as quiet as you can, and having a total fear that you would wake me up after I’ve gone to bed. If that isn’t respect, then I don’t know what is. I’ve told Ally countless times that I do not care how loud she is when she comes in, and yet she continues to do her best not to wake me up.

This roommate of mine and I have not fought at all this entire time I’ve been in college, and to me that is a blessing. I’ve heard countless stories from my other friends of how awkward their relationship with their roommate is and even how much they annoy them. I could and still can never relate to that because I have the honor of living with Ally.

Ally and I have always gotten along and have never had a conflict with one another. We tell each other our plans, how our day went, and even share some of our biggest secrets with each other! She knows a lot about me and I've even told her some things I've never told anyone else before. We are two completely different people and I think it is so neat that we came into each other’s lives.

If I didn’t have Ally as a roommate, I could tell you right now that I would not have had a good first year. She made it so easy for me because of how kind, caring, and understanding she is. She's seen me at my worst and doesn't judge me for it. She has also seen me at my best, and is a great supporter of my decisions I've made. I make sure to respect her as much as she respects me which makes our year a smooth sailing one.

One last thing, Ally. Thank you for being you. Whenever I am having a bad day, some of the things that come out of your mouth are the funniest things I’ve ever heard. I consider you family and I hope we can keep in touch after we move out. You have been the absolute best roommate ever and I am blessed to have gained a friend like you.