A Letter To The Social Media Depressed

A Letter To The Social Media Depressed

High School and College and Life are tough. Don't Social Media It Too.

4
A Letter To The Social Media Depressed

Dear Men and Women of The Social Media Universe,

Stop.

I mean it. Yes, midterms and finals are the worst. We all go through intense breakups that make it seem like the universe around us is coming to a short and sudden stop. Our friends may start to ghost, and we may eat way too much Taco Bell, but that is no reason to throw around the “d” word.

Depression is a big word. One with a significant amount of meaning. It’s like a four letter word, like love or the other four letter words that you would never say in front of your mother. The word depression carries a lot of meaning, however in today’s society we throw this word around in day to day conversation.

The effect my dear Millenials is that the word depression no longer means what it used to mean.

Depression these days refers to a bad day or a rough patch. But to me, that’s not what the word meant at all. It meant hours in high school crying over the fact that I may have eaten too much, just to be so depressed that I would eat more. Then the crying after throwing it all back up again. Depression meant the hour longer phone calls with a friend repeating, “don’t. It’s a temporary problem, you don’t need a permanent solution.”

Depression and being depressed has always been a stigma for Millennials. It’s a topic we brush under the rug and we hope that by the time we, “grow up,” that god awful feeling of nothingness with slowly be leaving our bodies. But because of the lack of recognition, this disease, yes I said disease, is left up to many interpretations.

The girl who got dumped is depressed. The boy with cuts on his arms is depressed. The mom who desperately wants love is depressed. The dad who can’t give her that love is depressed. By using this word for multiple situations, we as a population lose sight of what the disease actually refers to.

So, stop the stigma.

Instead of going on a Twitter rampage about how terrible your day was and how depressed you are, think. Think of what happened, and think of how to fix it. We, even myself, look for instant gratification and sympathy from the inter-web comments to help cheer us up. However, by using that specific word, “depressed” people are contributing to the larger misunderstanding of this condition and mental illness as a whole.

This morning I woke up with a cough. I didn’t go to twitter and tweet, “#tuberculosis is the rough life.” A cough is a cough. Tuberculosis is a disease. Simply sadness is sadness, that with love and support will go away. Depression is a disease that is most of the time overlooked and not understood.

We as millennials owe it both ourselves and each other to look out for each other. We owe our generation the right to be heard and if someone is crying out for help with depression or other mental illness, their want for help should not be questioned. If everyone out there is “crying depression,” like “crying wolf,” all of our efforts will go to waste.