A Letter To Diversity Outreach Programs

A Letter To Diversity Outreach Programs

I’m tired of feeling like a statistic up for sale.

34
A Letter To Diversity Outreach Programs
The $900 Facebook Pony

Now, don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the money that you provide me with. Because if it were not for your generous wallets, how else would I ever pay the fees necessary to pass through all of these expensive-looking doors? I’m just tired of remaining silent in the face of systemic problems for fear of biting the hands that feed me.

Focusing on monetary support is not the way to ensure my success in a society that’s already set up against me. Instead, give me the mentorship and personal development skills that will provide me with a much-needed advantage in this system rigged for my failure. Teach me that I have meaning and purpose in this society that keeps telling me that I don’t. Because if all you do is give me a check, but no skills, no sense of self-importance, all you’re left with is the same problem you had before.

I will still be a minority fighting to make a positive difference, but lacking the skills necessary for such a change. I will still be a minority fighting for a purpose that I still have not yet found. Having money and the opportunities that money provides does not mean that I know how to succeed. I promise that if you invest in me holistically, your profits will then be worth your while.

I want to believe you care. I want to believe that you’ll hear me out when I say we need:

• Mentorship: Help guide us toward our potential. Because for minorities it isn’t always easy to believe we can achieve when society is saying we can’t. And it’s vital that this mentorship goes beyond one meeting about the outcomes and lessons gained through your programs. This has to be a sustainable, relationship-building mentorship that we can rely on even when we leave. We will need this later in life when there are no mentors available in our schools, workplaces, and organizations.
  • Skills of Application: Don’t fill our summers or semesters with classes that focus on getting good grades. Fill them with opportunities for us to learn how to effectively communicate, problem-solve, and influence change. Give us the capabilities we will need to make effective and positive changes in our communities so we can teach the next generation about their potential for success and self-sustainability.
  • Follow Up: Do not leave us with the promise and availability of a network of peers; follow up with us instead. Check in with us, hold job fairs, ensure that we remain a part of this community — and you remain a part of ours — even after you give us the check. Because as much as you benefit from our eventual success, we still need the benefit of the mentorship and resources we had via your programs.

I know your intention is to assist, but minorities need more than just money. We need to know we matter beyond another percentage point added into an educational or professional field. We need the skills required to succeed in these environments. So please, focus on us holistically. Because we are more than our empty bank accounts.