A Letter To The Caffeine Filled Beverage That Gets Me Through The Day

You are my first thought when I wake up in the morning and my last thought at night when I go to sleep.
196

Dearly beloved,

I have known you for so long and now I can’t imagine my life without you. You have been there for me in the earliest hours of the morning before the sun comes up and in the latest hours of the evening. You are my motivation to wake up every morning and push through my exhaustion because I know you will always be there for me.

When I first met you, we only came in contact once in a while. I was young and you weren’t a necessity at the time. You were a treat on a day when school let out early and I could walk with my friends to meet you. It was best to meet when you were sweet and over ice. You were too bitter as your natural self. I could only take you in small doses because you had a great effect on me. I’d get so excited to see you that my body would shake. Seeing you woke me right up. My parents didn’t exactly approve of us coming in contact with each other but I knew they would eventually understand when I got older.

Now that a few years have passed and life has gotten busier, I’ve made sure to stay in contact with you every day... maybe even multiple times a day because that’s how much I need you. I can’t get through the day without you anymore. I’m addicted. My body aches when we don’t meet before 11 a.m. Your welcoming smell gives me the motivation to get through the day. Longing for you gives me a migraine and I get cranky when I know it will be long before I see you.

I've gotten over how expensive you've become, but my bank account hasn’t. I can’t live without you. During the school year, you are my #1 motivator to go about my busy life knowing you will always be there for me. You’re okay with me bringing friends every now and then when we meet and I appreciate that. My friends understand the connection I have with you and they know they can never come between us.

For a while, I was really picky about how we met. I only wanted to meet at Dunkin’ Donuts, but I have opened myself up to other meeting places. I meet you every morning at my house now, which is more convenient for me, so thank you, from me and my bank account.

I can’t meet you when you’re too sweet anymore. I’ve learned to cut back on how much I can handle of you at once. You just don’t have the same effect as you used to but don’t fret, I NEED YOU. Depending on my mood, sometimes I don’t even need to see you over ice, and if others know me like you do, that’s a big turning point in our relationship.

It’s weird for me to look back and imagine my life without you because we’ve grown so close and you’ve become a part of me. Thank you for being there for me through the difficult times. I know that you’ll only be a few cups of water and spoonfuls of ground beans away when I need you.

Yours truly,

A slightly addicted and clingy college student