A Letter To My Best Friend Since Birth

A Letter To My Best Friend Since Birth

To the girl I've shared so much of my life with

964
A Letter To My Best Friend Since Birth
Author's photo

To my best friend since birth:

To think that we’ve been a part of each other’s lives for 20 years is crazy. At this point, I can’t imagine my life without you. You’re one of the few people I know will stay by my side for the rest of my life, and for that, I am so grateful.

Every time we get together, I realize how different, and yet how incredibly similar we are. We play off of each others’ personalities to create a dynamic that is unique to us, and even when we don’t see each other for months, nothing has changed when we get back together.

From princess birthday parties when we were children, to laying in the dark at night catching up, every moment spent with you are moments well spent.

I remember swimming with you in the pool by your house when we were children (and how you were always the brave one who faced the deep end before I could).

I remember the old games we used to play – the thousands of times we ran around our houses dressed up as princesses or fairies or whatever else we wanted – and how even now we still enjoy looking nice and taking pictures together.

I remember the thousands of times we’ve gone out to Florentines together (and how we always order the same thing), and the adventures you’ve taken me on over at Cal Poly.

I remember the people we’ve met (both good and bad), and how even though we go to college five hours apart, we somehow remain very in-tune to each other’s lives.

Even our petty little fights as children, which mainly consisted of being angry for about a half an hour and then going back to playing, still make me laugh.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget our childhood together (and the years to come), and I am so very glad of that, because those memories are some of my best.

To think that our dads both met in high school and that their friendship was so strong that it translated over to us is amazing.

We’ll forever joke about the time my dad got angry at the woman who threw our ski supplies off our chairs in the lodge, and how your dad was right there to back him up.

We’ll always remember the night they got a bit drunk and your dad jumped out and scared us while we were playing Ping-Pong in the garage.

We’ll continue to look forward to our joint-family Game Of Thrones nights (as our parents sit upstairs and watch the episodes while we isolate ourselves in my basement and eat pizza, spending hours discussing the possible fates of our favorite characters).

At the end of the day, I know we’ll always be able to count on each other. Having that is a security and gift I know I’ll treasure for the rest of my life. We’ve shared so much together, and there is nobody I would rather share any of it with.

Lots of love,

Melissa