An Open Letter To My Best Friend At An Out-Of-State College

Even when everything else has changed, you and me haven't.
4

I miss you so much!

That seems to be the first thing we always say, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Sometimes, when I'm at a coffeeshop or just walking to my car I catch myself wondering what it would be like if you were here with me. I wouldn't even need you to say anything! I would just want you to be there.

You bring back every single feeling and memory of being at home.

In class, I sometimes browse through old photos or read through old text messages and laugh really, really hard. Each picture brings me back to the day we got stuck out in the rain, to the day we cried over our final math test scores, to the day we laid out in a grassy field talking until almost one in the morning, to the day we lost my car keys and were almost stranded forever, to the day you told me you were leaving for Ithaca.

When I catch myself doing something hilariously stupid, I can still hear your laugh in the back of my head and see the way you clap your hands and squeeze your eyes shut. I really miss that.

When I catch myself wanting to give up and give in, I can hear you putting your foot down and declaring, "No! You are going to do this, and I'm going to do it with you."

When I catch myself being really indecisive, I can see you sitting me down and asking me, "Tell me all the reasons why you should do this, and all the reasons why you shouldn't do this. If you can't make a decision after that, we'll let my music decide." Somehow, that always helped me make the right decision.

I was truly excited and happy for you when you left for college, but I was also afraid too. I think my greatest fear in the beginning when you left was that you'd go on to having this amazing life and meet all these new people and forget all about me. I wondered if growing apart was inevitable.

I know with long distance, being only a text or phone call away isn't always easy. I sometimes pick up the phone to call you, and then I remember you're 3 hours ahead and realize you're probably fast asleep.

But I want to say thank you.

Thank you for always calling, even when I can't answer or when I can only talk for a few minutes before my next class.

Thank you for making the effort to always fly home.

Thank you for always being you, because now I know that even though a lot has changed, you and me haven't.

I want you to know no one will ever replace you. I've met amazing friends and I know that you have too, but you'll always be the one person that's been there through it all from the very beginning. You'll be my best friend for all of eternity.

Thank you for doing life with me, and thank you for pursuing your dreams.

Our friendship is in God's hands, and He knows what he's doing.

Love, Jasmine