Let's Weigh Out Our Options

Let's Weigh Out Our Options

Maybe the proof is in the pudding.

6
Let's Weigh Out Our Options
wptv

Let me start by saying, I am no crusader of Hillary Clinton nor Donald Trump.

I would also like to note that our nation having these two polar opposite, extremist candidates is a direct result of the two-party system. If you really want to see a change within our country, while it must start in the present, it must alike be progressive.

Stop with the memes about how much America sucks when we the people have a lot more power than we are exercising. In other words — if all you have done this election season is talk smack on both the candidates on Facebook, you're a part of the problem. We have found ourselves victim to a rigged economy, in which a group of people is determining our fate. Two popular cliques are taking over, super pacs exist and people are donating millions of dollars to colorful, promising campaigns. It’s disgusting.

We have reached a point where people are willing to sacrifice their morals and dignity to back a party rather than a person. Rather than casting a vote for who people find attractive, they feel the need to put it toward “the candidate that will win their party," “the lesser of two evils."

But inevitably, here we are. We are months away from casting our votes (crossing our fingers, if that even means anything) for a presidential candidate of choice — and then it will all be over. In most situations, at least as I was taught, you either make the decision with reason or you make intuitively (brain or heart). In this circumstance, I do not think anyone's intuition is going to guide them. Donald and Hillary are pretty intense people, so why don't we objectively, and without bias look at the good and bad in both of these characters. Maybe the proof is in the pudding.

Hillary Clinton has been in public office for 40 years. However, before she stepped in she attended Yale Law School and went on to co-found Arkansas Advocates for Children and Family, and also became the first woman partner at Rose Law Firm. Clinton served as our Secretary of State for four years, New York’s Senator for eight years, First Lady during the presidency of Bill Clinton and First Lady of Arkansas in the duration of his governorship. Truth be told, Hillary is very experienced -- many have even noted she is the most politically accomplished human being to have ever ran for office. To list out all her accomplishments would take pages -- however, I would like to highlight a few. Hillary made a speech at the 1995 UN conference on women, and stated as the world heard for the first time, “Women's rights are human rights, and human rights are women's rights.” Clinton also played a huge role in killing Osama bin Laden and did a notable job managing the state department during a time our country saw a 50 percent increase in exports to China.

Mr. Trump is best known as a businessman, and a television personality — but is also our Republican presidential nominee. As far as politics go, Trump actually attempted to gain the Reform Party’s nomination but withdrew early on, and re-announced he would consider running in 2012. Additionally, Trump endorsed Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu. While Trump was in college, he worked at his father's, Fred Trump's, real estate and construction firm and later assumed control, renaming it “The Trump Organization." Donald Trump's renowned achievements include, but are not limited to, his Emmy nomination for "The Apprentice," his Hollywood star for his contributions to television and his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame.

On the other hand...

Hillary Clinton has gained a lot of infamy due to her nature of flip-flopping (her vote for the Iraq war which Trump will never forget) within certain issues and her email scandal. The Clinton foundation is also a negative surrounding Hillary’s name. The only concrete, factual thing I can say about it is that it funnels A LOT of money.

Now, while everyone is shining the light of a criminal on Hillary, ironically enough Donald Trump has some ties to organized crime. He is the son of a Russian mobster, and in 2000 he was a co-conspirator in a $40 million dollar fraud case. Donald also has a pretty obvious problem with women. I will refrain from mentioning the disgusting statements he has said regarding women, his daughter included, but he isn't exactly a a class act in terms of respecting women. Lastly, Tevfik Arif, one of Donald Trump’s partners, was actually arrested aboard a luxury yacht. For what? For encouraging and facilitating prostitution. Some of the girls were only 16.

With that being said...

When you're voting, PLEASE keep in mind, you're not voting for your new best friend. You are not voting for the person you're going to grab a beer with and talk strategy with — but rather the president of the United States of America, the person representing us all, arguably, one of the most powerful, serious and prestige occupations one could hold.

I would normally say to each their own, but this choice affects us all.

Choose wisely, America.