Let's Put 'Christ' Back In Christmas

Let's Put 'Christ' Back In Christmas

Don't forget the real reason for the season.
20

Christmas is a very popular holiday for many people. It's a time for family gatherings, great food, buying and receiving gifts, and all of the Christmas traditions. I love the Christmas season and everything it brings. But my favorite reason for this season: the birth of Jesus Christ.

Over the years, Christmas has become so commercialized. Retail stores start putting the "Christmas bug" in consumers' ears airing Christmas sales before Thanksgiving.

Black Friday seems to be pushed earlier and earlier, someday probably becoming Black Friday Week. We get caught up in the busyness the Christmas season brings that we often forget why we have this holiday.

When man landed on the moon, it was huge news. Every news outlet had a story about Neil Armstrong's one step for man, one giant leap for mankind. People remember where they were that day when technological advances got us to the moon. But there is nothing comparable than when God landed on earth, Jesus Christ was born.

What's the big deal about God sending his son to earth and why is it a big deal in the Christian faith? The birth of Christ is celebrated because God came to earth, in human form, to save sinners like you and me. A savior came to a corrupt earth to save it and live among us.

Jesus didn't stay in the manger. The Christmas Story doesn't end in Luke 2. The reason for Christmas is Jesus came to die for sinners. He came to be our savior. If we didn't need a savior, then why did God send one? Jesus was born a baby, grew up in the same temptations we face today, and ultimately died on the cross for our sins so that we may one day live with him.

Let's keep in mind the real reason for the season and put 'Christ' back in Christmas.