Let's Not Hope For Trump To Fail
Politics

Let's Not Hope For Trump To Fail

I live in this country. I would rather not hope our leader fails completely.

17
Let's Not Hope For Trump To Fail

We have witnessed a historic election that will go down in history with the realization that this country has some division in it. President Trump won the electoral college, however his competitor in the presidential race won the popular vote. While this is not the first time this has happened (John Quincy Adams in 1824, Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876, Benjamin Harrison in 1888 and George W. Bush in 2000), there are those who say this will cause the country to become even more divided because the candidate people wanted in office is not there. There are both good and bad reasons for the creation of the electoral college, but at this moment, we cannot change how the election process is run. Right now we should be focused on the state of the country and where it is going.

Hilary Clinton had nearly 3 million more votes than Trump. Because of this result, there is a trend going around called "#NotMyPresident." I understand that he is not the person the country would have liked to see represent us to the rest of the world. People are protesting against him and posting all over social media that they hope he fails in office and ruins the country to show his supporters that he is not the person they thought he was. My question to those people: Why are you hoping the leader of your country fails at his position? He does not seem to be the most decent human being on this planet. He did run a business into the ground and cause the loss of many jobs. He does not know much about politics. He has some terrible ideas for the country and its people. But he is still the sitting president and he does have control of the ship we are all on at the moment.

So why, people on social media, do you want him to fail? Do you live in this country?

Do you want to survive these next four years? There could very well be a lot of rebuilding to do at the end of those four years and a lot of wounds to close for people who live here. But if we actually try to support the country we live in and make our voices heard, we can get through it. I know that we do not all support him. There are a lot of things he has done in the few weeks he has been in office that have truly hurt the people we call fellow Americans. But we are all Americans.

A lot of the country did not support Andrew Jackson when he took office. A founding philosophy of the Whig Party was to get Jackson out of office. But the country survived. Most of the founding fathers did not trust Alexander Hamilton and his plan for the National Bank. Look what happened: The National Treasury and a fantastic musical about his life. So America, do you believe that we can survive these next four years? Do you want to survive? If so, let's try not to tear down what is left of our 'Murican pride and keep our ship afloat. There are a lot of barriers to come and a lot of pain to be had. But if we actually hope that the man holding the reins will not run us into the ground and hope that he does not fail completely at the job that nearly half our country voted him into, we can get through this. Let's hope for the best.