7 Lessons From Working In Childcare

7 Lessons From Working In Childcare

Preschoolers can be the best teachers.

21
7 Lessons From Working In Childcare

Throughout my teen years I would babysit my nephews and children of family friends, so when I entered college and noticed a work study job at a preschool, I immediately applied. From the moment I walked into the classroom on my first day, Emma the college student dropped away and I became Miss Emma:Teacher's Aid.

Working with children ages three to five, in the prime developmental stages of their lives, is highly rewarding. Each day progress can be seen as they learn how to develop new skills, and interact with their peers. From runny noses, heated debates over Legos, and numerous readings of "Frozen" books, I've learned a lot from these children who have become a part of my life. So with these thoughts in mind, here are my top seven pieces of knowledge I've gained from working in childcare:

1. They will make messes, but don't fight it too much.

Working in with young children, there are bound to be messes. Paints and marker spots will be on the table, Legos will be on the floor, and the dreaded play-dough will get in places that you wouldn't even expect (I can attest to finding some in my hair several hours after leaving work). However, even if you just wiped down a table or reset up toys, you can't be too upset when it gets messy two minutes later. This is just how children are, exploring their creativity, just as long as they agree to clean up a little bit when they are done.

2. They will notice even the slightest change in your appearance.

I always find it hilarious when I decide to wear my hair in a different style than usual, or if I wear my glasses (which I rarely do) to go to the preschool. As soon as the students see me I am surrounded, being bombarded with questions about why I look different. Once, I wore my hair in a bun ( it is usually down) and wore glasses, and one little boy stared at me for several minutes before yelling that "I wasn't Miss Emma today." They struggle to wrap their minds around changes, so I can only imagine what would happen if one day I came into work with blue hair. Thus, these young children are much more observant to changes than we even realize.

3. They love art projects and when you can draw them pictures.

When I first started, I had to find a way to connect with the children quickly, and since I am a proficient drawer I decided the art table would be the key to their hearts. I was right. As soon as I showed them I could draw a horse or a Ninja Turtle with accuracy I was in. I've witnessed these children create masterful monster traps, cat beds, and many many many masks. After two years of working with them, I have mastered the art of making princess masks, specifically Elsa and Anna from "Frozen." It is always fascinating to watch how serious they get when creating a new craft, with many of them leaving with bags of artwork to later display on their fridges at home.

4. Entertain them during story time, and you will enjoy reading the same stories over again.

Growing up my dad would always read to me with elaborate voices, making each character come to life. This instilled in me a love of literature, and during story time at the preschool I try to make the characters become as real as they were for me when I was little. If you truly enjoy reading to them, they will notice and be excited to listen. With a young audience in front of you, perform the story and it will be worthwhile for you and memorable for the kids.

5. Always ask if they need a "potty break."

Chances are the kids will be too busy playing with their friends to even realize they have to go until it is nearly, if not already, too late. That is why it never hurts to ask every half hour or so if anyone needs to go, to avoid any accidents. Enough said.

6. You will notice growth and progress from the beginning of the year to the end.

My favorite part about working at the preschool is seeing how each child progresses. Some, who were less independent at the beginning of the year, are able to branch out from the care of the teacher by the end. Others who struggled to even hold scissors at the beginning of the year, can adeptly cut out a picture they created when the year ends. Even within relationships, those that were more likely to cry when they didn't get their way become more mature at handling situations they don't like. What's more drastic is how quickly they physically grow, and learn a larger vocabulary as the year goes on. It gives me, as their caretaker, a sense of pride in seeing how quickly they learn.

7. You form a bond and miss them at the end of each year.

As the school year ends, the preschool has "graduates" who are moving on to kindergarten. Though each student leaves well equipped to handle kindergarten, I get a sense of sadness at the thought of not seeing them almost everyday. It is difficult to say goodbye to them, and I miss being called "Miss Emma" by those that leave. The same ones that I helped cut out pictures for, or read to are now going off with the "big" kids, to an actual elementary school. Though I am only a young adult myself, witnessing how quickly they grow up is humbling. They remind me that it's not so bad to be young, and I happily try my best to contribute in making their preschool experience a fun one.