There's a lot to be learned from a child

Everything I Need To Know I Learned From A Little Red-Headed Girl

Sometimes, in order to learn lessons for the future, you need to look to the past

69
Bailey Drake

I believe children are some of the wisest people on the planet. They see life with such an innocence and joy, it's impossible to disagree with their logic sometimes. For example, when I taught fourth-grade Sunday School a few years ago, there was a little girl who once said in class that God could not be anywhere near sin because "He's allergic to sin." Not only was that the most precious response ever, but I also found it to be incredibly insightful. She just saw the situation as it was and explained it in terms that anyone could understand. It's the perfect example of a little kid's thought process.

I've found that, sometimes, I need to look back on the lessons I learned in my childhood in order to learn how to be a better person today.

I was brought up in a Christian household with two loving parents, and I am forever grateful for that. I gained a solid foundation upon which I have based my faith today. Following my parents' example and encouragement, I was very excited about Jesus and wanted to learn as much about Him as I could. I always tried to live out the child-like faith which Jesus always told His disciples about (Matthew 18:3). I was taught from the beginning that Jesus loved me enough to die for me, and I took this to heart and allowed it to help grow my love for Him.

I also used this childlike nature to learn more about the world around me. If I ever found a book that was all about animals, science, music, or just about anything I could get my hands on, you can bet I read that book cover to cover multiple times. I used to wander off in class just so I could read the books on the shelves. It annoyed my teachers to no end, but I couldn't get enough books! I had to learn as much as I could because I saw the world as a wide, wonderful, and beautiful place. I saw every day as an adventure and an exciting opportunity to learn something new and show other people God's love.

As a child, I was also incredibly creative, particularly with music. I grew up surrounded by music, through singing in church, participating in theater, and watching a bunch of Disney musicals. It always enchanted me, and my encounters with music provided a solid foundation for the singer I am today. I loved to sing as a little girl. I sang in church, in school productions, and, sometimes, on my own in the middle of my bedroom. There was always something unexplainable about music which made me so happy. I thought it was something truly beautiful, and I've carried that mentality with me into adulthood. It's one of my greatest sources of happiness to this day.

I always try my best to not let adult responsibilities ruin my child-like faith and attitude. However, sometimes I take the harsh realities of this world too much to heart and lose sight of the love I once expressed as a child. While I understand that everyone must grow up and become an adult in the real world, I don't think anyone should forget the lessons they learned as a child. In fact, many people could benefit from following the example of the child they used to be. Children love without an agenda, see the world as a wonderful thing to be explored, and are at a time in life when there are no consequences for believing in themselves. They could teach many people valuable lessons about not becoming too jaded by this imperfect world. Children are not perfect people, but they see everything with joy, and that is an absolutely wonderful way to live.