13 Lessons I Learned From My LDR

13 Lessons I Learned From My LDR

You can survive the temporary distance if it means a permanent future together.

404
13 Lessons I Learned From My LDR
Tim Gouw

I was in a long-distance relationship (LDR) for a little under a year—from July 2015 to June 2016. I wholeheartedly believe that being in an LDR is one of the most difficult things a couple can go through. It's not always easy, especially at the beginning, but my LDR taught me a lot about love.

1. Everything is harder when you're in an LDR.

Imagine having a bad day and coming home to an empty bed, when the one thing you want is a hug from the one person who can't give it to you. On your best days, you can't properly celebrate with your best friend because they're not physically there with you. LDRs are hard.

2. Time spent together is precious.

Time drags by before you get to see your SO again, but once you're together, it flies. Being around the person you love makes everything better. You enjoy each other's company 24/7, even if you're just shopping for groceries.

3. Skype and FaceTime are lifesavers.

Skype dates are a regular occurrence, and you look forward to them for hours. If you can't physically be next to each other, seeing each other on a screen is the next-best thing.

4. Slow internet = hell.

Nothing--and I mean nothing--is worse than slow internet when you're trying to talk to your SO. Glitchy video streams and choppy sound quality are always frustrating, but they're especially disheartening when they're interrupting your Skype date.

5. Time zones are really annoying.

Why are time zones a thing? Even if it's only an hour time difference (in my case, it was seven), time zones are just another barrier in your relationship.

6. Feeling like you're missing half of yourself gets easier with time.

At first, it seems impossible: it's an ache that hurts every time you breathe. This feeling of missing half of yourself will fade with every day spent apart, and it's nothing to feel guilty about; it's your body adjusting to the new normal.

7. It's easy to give up.

It is potentially the easiest thing being in an LDR: not picking up the phone, scheduling plans over your Skype date, ignoring a difficult text message. This is one thing you must not do. You owe it to your SO to fight for your relationship.

8. Distance does not mean anything when two people really love each other.

You can survive the temporary distance if it means a permanent future together. Distance does not make you love your SO any less.

9. Surprising each other is a must.

Surprises are always a plus in a relationship, but they're especially important in an LDR. The little things make all the difference, even if it's just mailing your SO a card for no reason at all or sending them a goofy selfie.

10. Try to tell each other everything.

I know it's hard to open up, especially when you're not physically with the person that you're being so vulnerable with. But being open and honest about everything in your life is the best way to make your SO feel like they're there with you.

11. Doing little things together is the highlight of your day.

One of my favorite things to do with my SO was watch the same show on Netflix from our own computers and talk about it as we watched. This is something that so many couples take for granted. It's just another way to feel like you're together.

12. Nothing is better than just chatting with the one you love.

Talking about your day--even the silly, small things--with your SO is the best. Lots of couples ignore these conversations and dive right into the deep stuff, but sometimes these average chats make the best memories.

13. If you can survive an LDR, you can survive anything.

This is the most important takeaway from an LDR. Even now, after over one year of living with my SO, I think back on our days of being in an LDR and wonder, how did we do that? I don't take our relationship for granted; I remember how hard we fought for it to work. No matter what life throws at us now, I know we will survive it together.