The Lessons That My Daycare Kids Taught Me

When I was supposed to be teaching them.

1075

When accepting a part-time teaching job at a daycare I never expected for the kids there to have such an impact on me. These kids especially the one-year old's in my class have taught me life lessons. I know it sounds crazy, life lessons from one-year old's? However, these kids taught me to open up and live more. Before taking the job I was a shy person who refused to do anything in the slightest to embarrass herself. I realized from working so closely with them that no one cares how stupid you look dancing to "Baby Shark" or how silly the faces you make are. As long as you are doing what makes you happy that is all that matters.

Another main thing they have made me realize is that kids are the best. They can see through the fake happiness on even some of your worst days. While they don't know they do it or even mean to, they can make you forget even for a second what was wrong in the first place. They make you laugh by doing stupidly cute stuff. They can turn any bad day upside down even when you think it is impossible. Watching these kids is a highlight in my day and makes my heart happy.

These kids taught me the necessities of being a parent for when that time comes. Being an only child with no younger cousins I never had to learn the basics of changing a diaper, comforting a nightmare, or even kissing a scratch better. It's the little things like these that make me grateful to be their teacher. Being able to make a difference in their lives. Teaching them new words, hand motions to songs and colors. Teaching them the basic fundamentals is the least I can do for them getting me out of my shell.