Lessons Learned From Country Music

Lessons Learned From Country Music

Country music is truth about life set to the sound of a guitar.
92

Country music is as American as it gets through telling ballads of achy-breaky hearts, hard-working people, and the beauty of the simple life. In recent years, country music has drastically changed from the original "hillbilly" or "honky-tonk" sound that it once was into today's "hickhop" variety. Regardless of how country music has evolved over the years, there is one thing that remains consistent: the lessons that one can learn from listening to country radio.

1. How to treat a woman

Every male country singer has released at least one song about how to treat a woman right. The "King of Country Music", George Strait, is well-known for his respect of women with countless hit songs. However, the song that sets the bar for how to treat a women is Cross My Heart in which Strait proclaims, "I'll give all that I've got to give to make all your dreams come true..." or the other "King of Country Music" Tim McGraw who says that, "Just to see you smile, I'd do anything..." But most recently, Thomas Rhett has proved just how happy a man can be when treating women right when dedicated this song to his wife, "If all I've got is your hand in my hand, baby, I could die a happy man." Even though men know how to treat a woman right, sometimes things go wrong which leads to the next lesson.

2. When a woman is hurt, she will get revenge

Whether it be Carrie Underwood proudly proclaiming to have, "...dug my keys into the side of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive, carved my name into his leather seats..." Or country icon, Garth Brooks' award-winning single, Thunder Rolls, that tells the tale of a woman who puts an end to his husband's cheating ways. No matter what happened to a person, revenge will be sought.

3. Don't take life for granted

Kenny Chesney said it best in his song entitled, Don't Blink which states that, "Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap. Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife. A hundred years goes faster than you think, so don't blink..."

4. Old back roads are the place to be

Whether it be Justin Moore's One Back Road, Jason Aldean's Dirt Road Anthem, Granger Smith's Backroad Song, or the classic Red Dirt Road by Brooks and Dunn, all country musicians want one thing, "...[to have] one dirt road that leads back to a honey hole..." where memories can be made amidst the peace and quiet.

5. Melodies remind you of memories

Eric Church's hit song, Springsteen, said it best that every melody reminds you of a memory like "When you hear born in the USA, do you relive those glory days from so long ago?"

6. The appeal of trucks and country boys

Nothing more could possibly be said about this when Kip Moore and Trace Adkins said it best. "There's something about a truck in a farmer's field," and "...ladies love country boys."

7. Farmer's daughters and country girls are something special

Simply put by Rodney Atkins, "Just when I thought it couldn't get no hotter, I caught a glimpse of the farmer's daughter." Not only are they a force to be reckoned with but their father is one worse yet as they sit on the porch cleaning their gun.

8. All you need in life is someone to love

In country music, people believe in the idea that as long as you have the right person by your side you can do anything, but be sure to, "...be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you," as told by Lee Brice.

9. Agriculture is the backbone of the USA

Whether it be thanking a farmer for the work that they do, reminiscing about bygone days of growing up on a farm, or simply telling tales of everyday life on the farm, there is a country song. Such as Jason Aldean speaking about "...getting up before the dawn...spending another day in the dusty haze...[to produce] the cheapest grain he's ever sold, but he's still holding on." Or James Wesley encouraging people to thank a farmer because they are the "men on [their] knees praying for rain that made this country stronger."

10. Importance of faith and family

Most importantly, country music believes in the importance of having faith in a greater power. Also, having that faith can be the key to making it through this crazy world. Brooks and Dunn said it best when they sang, "I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red... I believe." Furthermore, country music believes in the idea that home is not just a place, it is a feeling. No matter how far you go, you can always go home and so as John Denver sang, "Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.

If the fans of country radio listened carefully enough to the songs that they sing along to while driving down the back roads, they would realize that these songs are created with a far greater intent than just entertainment, the sound of a guitar, or a deep southern drawl. Country music tells the truth about life from the viewpoint of all ages and teaches countless life-lessons in as little as three minutes.