20 Things I Learned In My First 20 Years

Having completed 20 trips around the sun, I found myself reflecting on the past two decades.

48
Photo by Yasmine qasem on Pexels

I am writing this on my 20th birthday. A day that I admittedly was not super thrilled about. But it is my 20th birthday, but it is also my first birthday without my Nana, my first birthday knowing what it's like to lose a friend, my first birthday not having any big chosen celebratory meal.

I was a little sad leading up to it, but I knew that I wanted to make the most of it and be happy. I found myself reflecting on what I have learned this far in my life. I learned the basics: how to walk, talk, read, write, and all that jazz. But I've learned a lot of valuable lessons as well.

1. Nothing lasts forever. You have to make the most of the moment and of the good stuff. Hug longer, laugh harder, tell people you love them.

2. It's a lot harder to be mean than it is to be nice.

3. Small things can make a big difference.

4. Quite often the only thing that stands in our way is our own fear of the outcome.

5. You can learn something new from anyone.

6. Don't wish away time or the present.

7. Everything happens for a reason.

8. You only live once.

9. It's good to be alone sometimes.

10. You don't always have to be happy. Just make sure to make the most of those times when you are.

11. School is not everything.

12. Friends will come and go, that doesn't mean your once tight bond was any less meaningful or worthy.

13. It's OK to let go. Sometimes it's the best thing for you.

14. Life isn't always easy; don't be afraid to reach out to others for support. Surround yourself with loving, caring, and supporting individuals.

15. If you have something important to say, say it. If you've been holding onto it for weeks or months or years, say it. If you're passionate about it, say it.

16. Do what you want to do, not what you think others want you to do.

17. Crying can in fact make you feel better.

18. You are never too cool for family, or literally anyone else.

19. It is your life. You are in charge.

20. Life is short. Live your days the way you want to. Don't waste time. Have fun, stay up late, re-watch your favorite movie, go on adventures, laugh, have a dance party, do whatever it is that makes your heart smile. It's up to you to live the life you want to live.

Overall it's been a very great and meaningful 20 years, and I am very excited to see my further growth in the next 20 years and then the next and the next. I am grateful for all of the good times that I have had so far and to the people who have been with me along the way, and I look forward to the next several decades!