Five Lessons You Can Only Learn From Your Grandbig

She's been there, done that, and is probably the reason there's a rule for it now.

19

Grandbigs are the most precious type of woman. It seems like they've done it all and then some. One of the greatest parts of a grandbig is her honesty. Unlike your big, who is blinded by the euphoria of having a little, a grandbig is 100 percent honest. She sees a younger version of her in you and knows what mistakes you're going to make pretty much before you even make them. Since I will soon be getting a grandlittle of my own, I think it's time to take a moment to reflect on all of the wisdom I have gained from the matriarch that is my wonderfully perfect grandbig. Here's hoping I'm able to positively influence another rowdy bear cub the way my grandbig influenced me!

Out of an ode to my actual grandbig, I only used Parks and Recreation .GIFS, because one, the show is actual perfection, and two, I don't think I've ever had a conversation without referencing this show.

You will get back what you put into it

This goes for anything. You can't just not participate in life and expect great things and great memories to come your way. So skip the nap and go to the intramural game or have movie night with your friends. You can't grow in your sisterhood or as a person in general if you aren't going to put yourself out there to experience life.

Going to class is most of the battle.

The hardest part about class is actually getting up and going. Even if you go and just sit there you will learn more than skipping. College is a good time, but you are here to get an education first and foremost—so wake up, get out of bed, and get to class. This is also goes for a lot of other things because I was notorious for wanting to sleep through things, whether it was class, philanthropy events, even just going out in general. Seriously, it's fine.

We all have those times.

Everyone loves to go out and have a good time but sometimes it's very easy for it to get the best of us. Every once in a while this is completely understandable, but how you choose to recover from those is what will make you who you are. Sometimes it takes an outside voice of reason to give you a reality check without judgement. I'm thankful for all of the times I may have gotten too wild and my grandbig made me feel better with stories that usually started with, "I remember this one time my freshman year... ."

There's no time to cry about mean boys.

In college there are tons of girls that are focused on simply getting a husband. But that's not why you're in school either. Boys will come and go, and some will be unnecessary jerks along the way. So there is no need to put yourself through the stress of dealing with boys that will make you cry. There's also no need to text them or acknowledge or give them the time of day whatsoever.

You can and will make the most beautiful and real friendships of your life.

College allows you to make friendships based on something stronger than just growing up with them or your parents working together. These friendships bloom from late nights together, laughs shared, and common interests. I've seen my grandbig's friendships survive internships, graduations, and hundreds of miles and it always seems like nothing changes between them. It is seriously #friendshipgoals.