lessons from parents

5 Lessons My Parents Taught Me That I'll Pass Down To My Kids

My parents instilled many lessons in me as a young child that helped shape the person I am today, and will hopefully shape my future children into the people they will become.

195

Everyone is raised differently. The parents or guardians of a child take eighteen long years to turn that child into the kind of person they want them to be. Children are taught different ways of life, different values, and find importance in different things. Personally, I grew up in a Catholic household with parents who always believed there was more to life than just what was right in front of you. Here is a list of the important life lessons that my parents taught me that shaped me into who I am today - these lessons being ones that I hope to one day pass on to my own children.

1. Fighting your own battles

Growing up, my parents always gave me my independence. I did my own school work, chose my own friends, and decided what I wanted to do. I can't ever recall a time my parents talked to teachers about my grades and they definitely didn't get me out of the messes my smart mouth always got me in. They were always in my corner but left it up to me to throw the punches (metaphorically, of course).

2. You might not always be right

Your parents are the type of people that always have your back, and while mine are no exceptions, my parents NEVER took my side if they thought I was in the wrong. Bringing a child up in a world where they think they're always right in the eyes of their parents can throw them in for a rude awakening when the real world hits, and I'm grateful my parents were there to tell me when I had messed up. They taught me to apologize and come to terms with the fact that I might not always be right.

3. Empathy

While empathy isn't something everybody is always very good at (myself included), it's an important aspect of being a well-rounded adult. Being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes is a noble trait--one that we all should strive for.

4. Don't take anything too seriously

Right off the bat, I have to thank my dad for teaching me to never take anything too seriously. It's easy to get caught up in all the stressful occurrences that come with life, but learning to step back and laugh at yourself or the situation is something I'm grateful my father instilled in me.

5. The difference between being polite and being "fake"

In today's society, it's common to call someone "fake" when they put on a false persona around someone that they might not necessarily like. However, in my household, we were ALWAYS taught to be polite to someone's face, even if we didn't necessarily like them. In high school, I had always been that way: I would openly admit to my friends that I found someone annoying or didn't like being in their presence, yet I would still smile at said person in the hallways, say hello if I saw them in public, or agree to take a picture of them at a football game. I think people misunderstand the difference between the two, and I hope I can teach my children the difference between them one day.

Every family has something to offer their child: memories, wisdom, values, etc. I'm grateful for the wisdom that my parents unknowingly passed down to me and I hope they never read this article because I don't want to boost their egos.