22 Life Lessons From Doctor House

22 Life Lessons We All Need To Hear, From The Doctor Himself

"Everybody lies."

3866

Dr. House graced our screens during eight-year run of "House M.D." From 2004 to 2012, we tuned in to see what unsolvable case Dr. House and his team had to solve each week. We laughed and cried along with the trials and tribulations of medical work, learned about diagnostic medicine, but most importantly, learned a number of life lessons from the doctor himself. He may have been crass, uncaring and blunt in his mannerisms, didn't know how to connect with people and didn't care what people thought of him, but in the end, he was a brilliant diagnostician. Beyond his faults, Dr. House was a man of intellect and bestowed his wisdom upon us.

Growing up, I watched the show religiously and even bought the DVDs. Since I don't own a DVD player anymore, Amazon Prime answered my calling to rewatch the series. Rewatching the show now in my 20s, I realize how much I learned from Dr. House beyond just medicine. Here are the 22 things the show taught me.

1. Everyone lies

Probably his most-used phrase, Dr. House had an inability to trust what his patients told him. He proved this to be true time and time again and is probably why I approach everything and everyone with a degree of skepticism.

2. You can't always get what you want

None of Dr. House's cases were typical and was why he was only able to solve one a week. With this in mind, he knows he won't always get the result he wants and he knows he will often be tested. Remembering to be flexible when life deals you a blow is the key ingredient to growing as a person and learning more about yourself and your capabilities.

3. But if you try sometimes, you get what you need

As mentioned before, things don't always go the way you want them to go, but finding a way to get what you want is a key step to overcoming a challenge. Thinking creatively will help us solve our problems.

4. Never give up

Dr. House never gave up on his patients until he had an answer, so you shouldn't give up no matter what life throws at you. It might be tough, but sticking it out until the end will bring a much-deserved award.

5. Friends will never leave your side

Those who are your true friends will always be there for you, no matter what the circumstance. Dr. Wilson stood by Dr. House no matter what he did not leave his side, especially when things took a turn for the worst.

6. Don't let anything stop you

No matter what challenge Dr. House faced, he never stopped trying to get his way. Don't let others stop you from doing what is best for you and your goals because you're the only one in charge of your life. Stick up for what you believe in and don't let anything or anyone stop you.

7. Follow your brain, not your heart

It's easy enough to blindly follow your heart and what it wants, but it's harder to follow the rational logic your brain wants you to follow.

8. Being optimistic isn't always the answer

But it does help in the long run.

9. Some things are better said out loud, no matter what

It's not always easy for us to be honest, but harboring grudges about someone's actions or harboring ill-will against something not going right won't help in the long run. Say what you feel because life is too short not to say what's on your mind.

10. It's the simple things in life that bring the most happiness

It's not important to surround yourself with more and more stuff if it can all be taken away and leave you desolate. Surround yourself with people and memories to last a lifetime.

11. Being passive aggressive is pointless

It's also a waste of time and energy.

12. Real connections are worth more than fleeting ones

It's funny how people care when they realize you're no longer going to be part of their life. Take the time to make build connections with people and your life will be all the richer for the effort you put into relationships and friendships.

13. Turn your weaknesses into strengths

Don't dwell on the weakness as a weakness, but find a way to turn it into something that will make you a better, stronger person.

14. Loyalty is the foundation of friendships

Just because you and your friends have different opinions, don't let them cloud your judgment of the person. Accept their opinions for what they are: opinions.

15. Brainstorming is the best way to find solutions

The only reason Dr. House and his team were able to solve cases: brainstorming.

16. Mistakes are inevitable

Learn and grow. Don't repeat your mistakes but keep learning and evolving. Be open to allowing yourself to fail and learn from these mistakes since it's the best teaching mechanism.

17. Remember to always have fun

Don't be serious all the time. Let go and have fun because, in the end, you'll look back on the exciting parts of life, not the mundane ones.

18. Normal is overrated

Be yourself in a world that doesn't want you to, and people will see you for who you are.

19. Trust has to be earned

Don't trust people outright because doing so will hurt you more than waiting for trust to be proven. Those who will be loyal and trust you will prove you can trust them, too. Remember that actions speak louder than words.

20. People get what they get, but it's not always what they deserve

Your actions dictate what you get out of life, but it may not always be what you deserve. Work and maintain focus on what's important and it will be what you get out of life.

21. Friends matter

Life is nothing without friends. They make your days better and less lonely so don't push them away because you won't know who to turn to when you need someone.

22. Everyone has secrets

Everyone has secrets and no one is willing to share them.

If you've never watched "House M.D." I highly encourage you to binge watch it, starting now! Sarcasm, dry humor, an ensemble of a great cast, need I say more? You'll thank me later.