'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'

9 Life Lessons I Learned From Buffy, Everyone's Favorite Vampire Slayer

Buffy literally died twice and still managed to save the world. C'mon guys.

236
"Buffy"

In the light of rumors about a Buffy reboot in the works, I thought I would share some things this seven season masterpiece taught me over the years.

Alternative intro: a collection of all my favorite Buffy gifs.

1. It's okay to be a strong f*cking woman

In a society where skinny has been the ideal for decades, it can be hard for young girls to embrace their strength. But everyone's favorite vampire slayer shattered that notion and saved the world from countless apocalyptic fates with her crazy awesome strength. I remember seeing Buffy kick bad guys across the screen and was immediately inspired to do push-ups right there in front of the TV. I can now boast 3 to 4ish chin ups and I couldn't be more proud.

2. Stand up for yourself

There has been more standing up to whomever in "Buffy" than I can count. But in any situation where she was being undervalued or underappreciated, she stood the f*ck up and did not take it. No girl should ever feel disrespected, and even more so, should never let anyone talk down to her. You are one strong ass capable mother trucker and you better let the world know!

3. Even when saving the world, you still have time to look cute

I was always in awe of her outfits. It was something about the quirky 90s West Coast Hollywood fashion that I just couldn't get enough of. From the leather pants to the fun printed skirts to her iconic jackets, Buffy never showed up to a killing underdressed and I am HERE FOR IT.

4. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself

Every time the council or the initiative or faith or some other annoyance got in the way, Buffy took charge. She had a vision and no one and no thing could get in the way of that, even the end of the world. If you have a vision and the people who are supposed to be working with you are only making things more difficult, do NOT be afraid to step up and take charge!

5. But sometimes, you really just need your friends

If there is one big takeaway from "Buffy," its that her friends made all the difference. She was always expecting a short-lived fate. As she studied other slayers, many only fulfilled their duties for a few years until they met their maker. But time after time, Buffy and the Scooby gang prevailed. Why? Because teamwork DOES make the dream work!

In so many instances where the slayers' capabilities were simply not enough, Willow would step in with her computer knowledge or magic, or Giles would step in with his vast knowledge of demons and history, or Xander would step in as the heart that kept the Scooby gang beating.

No matter what the situation, everyone contributed in a different way, and that is what made the Scooby gang so special. As Spike once said, "A slayer with friends, that certainly wasn't in the handbook." And that is why Buffy is so successful; she had an unprecedented support system that took some of the weight of the world off her shoulders.

6. It's okay not to know what to do sometimes

Buffy made mistakes and certainly was not perfect. And more importantly, she never claimed to be. There was a certain humbleness that never escaped her. No matter how many apocalypses she prevented, she never pretended and she never claimed she knew more than she did. She asked for help from Giles and her mom and Willow and Tara and even Xander when she needed it. She showed us that no one is born knowing everything, and that life is a learning process, with experience as its lessons. No one, not even the chosen one, can be expected to be perfect off the bat, or perfect at all.

7. People can change for the better

This is really an ode to Dawn. Dawn took a 180 from bratty and unbearable to caring and capable. Nothing prepared me for the moment she staked that ubervamp in the last episode of season seven. Dawn started out being too irresponsible to bring into the magic shop and ended out the series as a badass and a woman in charge. People grow and people change, you just have to give them the chance and they might surprise you.

8. Love is love is love

Joss Whedon, the director of "Buffy," was actually one of the first to portray a lead lesbian couple in a TV series. In addition to growing up in a loving and accepting family, "Buffy" introduced to me very early on that love is not something that you can fit into a singular definition. Willow and Tara had, in my opinion, one of the purest and most beautiful loves on the show. And culturally, I think that it was incredibly important and impactful. In a time when same-sex marriage was not legal in even one of all 50 states, this show made a statement about how love cannot be defined, especially not by any arbitrary laws.

9. When times get tough, don't even think about giving up

This show was everything to me growing up, and I've finally spelled out some reasons why. If you're a die-hard like myself, I hope you found this relatable. If not, all seven seasons are available on Hulu, so get on it.