British Women

5 Things I've Learned From Naomi Campbell And 4 Other British Beauties

Five amazing women, countless lessons learned.

63

My love affair with Great Britain began at age seven. In 2004 my mom and I made our first trip to London, and just like that, I became obsessed with all things English. Fast forward a few years and One Direction came around... you know how that turned out. Mix in those two fabulous royal weddings I've been alive to witness, and you have the perfect recipe for a girl who would love to move to England and star in the Ladies of London franchise if asked.

I'm also a huge lover of pop culture, and mainstream pop culture is dominated by British bombshells. From movie stars to recording artists, models, designers, and royals, many famous celebrities are from Great Britain. There are five female celebrities that I deeply admire who have a timeless charm and who can teach many different, but great lessons to us all.

1. Amy Winehouse

amy winehouse

Amy Winehouse was no saint, she had many faults and made countless mistakes. But just like you or I she tried her best every day, battling her own demons while juggling massive success. A small town girl became one of the biggest names in popular music in just a few short years, selling out huge shows, mingling with celebrities and winning six Grammys. She's a great example that even celebrities aren't perfect, but success is still possible no mater how dark your demons may be.

2. Naomi Campbell

naomi campbell

The queen of the catwalk since the early 1990s. She is a force to be reckoned with even at age 48, as the fashion world can still come to a screeching halt as she walks down the catwalk. Naomi has become a pioneer for women of color in the fashion industry, as the first woman of color on the cover of French Vogue, who is now worth over $60 million. Now that's a powerhouse woman to look up to.

3. Victoria Beckham

victoria beckham

From a signing spice girl to an owner of a massive fashion powerhouse, Victoria Beckham has done it all. She had tremendous courage and jumped into a risky new career move after her huge fame in the 90s, and it all paid off because of her faith in herself. She's now the brand owner of a huge fashion company that makes millions every year, one of the most respected business moguls in the industry. Victoria Beckham proves you can really do it all.

4. Twiggy

twiggy

One of the most recognizable faces of the 1960s. A little unknown model who launched to fame for being different from the rest. Everything about Twiggy has become truly iconic from her hair to her makeup, to her sense of style. She achieved icon status just by being herself. Being different can open countless doors, and all you have to do is be yourself.

5. Diana, Princess of Wales

diana

Her name says it all. The late princess was a humanitarian, activist and crusader of equal rights for all, just to mention a few of her admirable qualities. During her time in the monarchy, she did tons of charity work and supported many different charitable causes, most notably in her fight against the AIDS epidemic. She did so much good in her short 36 years, but her message of doing good for others lives on and has inspired so many people after her. One woman can make a difference, just as Princess Diana did.