Lemonade

Lemonade

Ways people cope with the emotional rollercoasters of life.

6
Lemonade
Danielle Cassells

Life tends to bring us many lemons, and different people deal differently with their lemons—some squeeze them to make lemonade, some just sit there and stare at them, some mope over them, and some throw them away. Coping with life’s situations, decisions, and emotions is something every person has to work through, whether it’s dealing with a breakup, working through family issues, or finally settling on a major in college.

Age and maturity can have an impact on how a person deals with their emotional stresses. Most people choose to distract themselves from the situation while some cope by engaging the feelings or moping in them.

Working out is one of the most common ways that young people deal with emotional stress. Running, lifting weights, Zumba, and other gym activities help people to release their emotions in a healthy way. Personally, after a break up, I found running to be one of the best stress relievers. It was a way for me to use the strain of my workout to distract me from the emotional pain I was dealing with. And, of course, it came with the positive feeling of being fit and strong.

Similar to working out, overworking is another physical way some people cope with tough times. They use their jobs or just staying busy around the house to fill the space in their mind that would otherwise be filled with their situation. To these people, this distraction is productive and gives them a sense of accomplishment which boosts their spirits.

Social engagement, whether by physically going out or engaging in social media is another medium of distraction. Dressing up and attending an event like a concert, going out with friends, or just taking a walk downtown is a great way many people choose to lift their spirits through trying times. The only danger with this method is that sometimes people indulge themselves too much in things like drinking and other potentially addicting pleasures.

Music is one solution that can either distract a person from their situation or allow them to wallow in their feelings, depending on the type of music chosen. For some, calming, soothing songs do the trick. Artists like Drake, Bryson Tiller, Adele, Sam Smith, and John Legend help some people cope as they discover their exact feelings through the music. Others prefer to have more hardcore music that helps them to shut out their feelings. This is where artists like Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Kanye, Nicki Manaj, and August Alsina are most helpful.

During emotional rollercoasters, people usually experience diet changes. Some people are so nervous or anxious during such times that they are unable to eat or prefer not to eat because of the uneasiness of their stomach. Others tend to eat more than usual or eat more unhealthily than usual for the feeling of comfort the food brings.

Whatever the situation, life is always better with a friend. Talking over problems with a friend is one of the best ways to express feelings and get things off your chest. Friends may have good advice, help you explore various options or simply provide a shoulder for you to cry on.

What best helps you with the lemons life tosses you?