The Legend of Oxxo

The Legend of Oxxo

Everywhere you turn, it's there...

149

So what is Oxxo? Oxxo has been used in puns, references for directions, and even your go to place after a night out, lazy weekends, and the "quickie" version of a supermarket. It is a small store that adorns almost every single street corner in Mexico, serving a multifaceted range of purposes. If you ever take a visit, it is impossible you won't run into one, and no it is not an equivalent comparison to 7-eleven. Oxxo, happens to be extra AF too!

The Childhood Haven

Photo by HistGatunas

Back in the early 2000's, when the economy was in what could be considered stable, a dollar, as a 6 year old took you places. An average summer day with cousins running around throwing water at each other while your parents sipped on tequila looking at their annoying children ended up in an oxxo hours later. A dollar, or 10 pesos (equivalent) was enough to get you plenty of junk food. You would open the doors and get a rush of cold air from the oxxo after frying temperatures. It ensured parents at least some minutes of relaxation from their kids.

"Que se arme la peda"

Photo by SucedeEnLaPeda

Flash forward years later and you become a pubescent teen, inviting your friends to drink. But your parents really hate having loud music and cheap beer around their backyard. You only have 200 pesos some coins and the determination to get lit after a week of schooling with the nuns. It seems almost impossible, and then, you hear it... "Wey, compra un 24 en el oxxo y ya" (Dude, just get a 24 pack at oxxo). Boom. You even had left overs for a Paketaxo. Oxxo, once again has saved your life.

Word of the day: "Peda", what we Mexicans call getting lit with alcohol. Because the best stories have happened at "la peda." It is slang, you won't find it on a dictionary or it will translate to "fart". Thus, "Que se arme la peda" literally means let the beer / tequila pong begin.

The legend of the mazapan

photo by De La Rosa

You see, following a peda, you will want to stop at the Oxxo. Because you will get hungry, and can find food. Decent food. But then, there is a common belief some Mexicans abide by. Eating a mazapan will absorb the alcohol in your body and you won't be as drunk. Is it true? I don't know. But the same has been applied to rice and bread. However, at Oxxo the peanut paste called "mazapan" may prevent your mom yelling at you at 2 am. Even better you can get a mazapan for 6 pesos or $0.31.

Oxxo and the selfie mirror

photo by Buzzfeed Mexico

Oh memes. At oxxo there is a small 360 mirror at the top corner of the store to keep watch of any thieves. But you know, standing in front of it with your 10 friends during spring break makes a funny selfie for the memories. Legend has it that some have taken a selfie and have encountered "El Brayan" in the background.

Word of the Day #2: "El Brayan": I can't even define what it is, just google it. I guess the closest definition is the guy you wouldn't want your daughter to date.

The Jack of all trades

photo by El País

When thinking about enhancing Oxxo, commercialism reached its peak with it. Suddenly, you could walk into Oxxo and pay your water and electricity bill. If that wasn't ridiculous and funny enough, at some franchises there is a "doctor" for those who have a cold or need a flu shot. I can't explain this either, we all thought it was a prank. Oxxo, is also the place you go into after the suffocating heat during the summer. Oxxo, my friends now has a coffee shop inside with "gourmet" coffee. Recently, it has also open a grocery aisle as well. This is why so many pranks revolve around it, as ridiculous as it sounds, it is all true.

FIFA albums and chill

photo by Formal Prision

Everyone who has come in contact with a Mexican knows we have an insatiable fever for fútbol. Don't even dare calling it soccer or you will get a ball to your face. So much hype goes around fút that every World Cup has seen oxxo selling stamps to complete your FIFA album. You got stamp repeats? Go trade them in with the cashier, he has an album too.

You just broke up? Go to Oxxo.

photo by CiudaDanaMtySur

Yes. Food. Word around is Prince Charming awaits within.

Do you need baby diapers? Shampoo? Detergent? Advil? Flour?

photo by El Universal Queretaro

Go to Oxxo.

You've never seen "sum s***t" until you've walked into Oxxo.

photo by Aciditos

Yes, a raccoon invasion, dogs with the Oxxo uniform, rumored weddings, and well the other I can't say in public.

Window Shop

photo by Bus10ale

I drove by Oxxo at about 8 pm, and I couldn't stop laughing. The irony is that Oxxo's are known to be the most jumped places after dark. So now, if you want some chips you have to knock on the door, get noticed by the cashier, and tell them what you want through a little window smaller than a McDonald's drive through.

The Verdict

photo by LaGuiadelVaron

The beloved Oxxos have come to be the happy place of many young Mexicans when grandma isn't home to give you junk food. It cuts your trips to make payments, and it's hard to get lost around your city with every Oxxo acting as bread crumbs to mark your trail. You see, we make fun of Oxxos, and we complain about the long lines. However, going to college in another country, I have had the time of my life. But you know, I left my heart in "El Oxxo."