To Be Left Handed In A Right Handed World

It's a little tricky, believe it or not.

77
Huffington Post

I love being left handed. Seriously, I do. It makes me unique to be the only person in a group of so many people and say I'm left handed when, of course, the majority are right handed. I'm lucky to find two lefties in a group of 30. That's cool.

But life can be pretty rough for lefties. I've heard stories of people whose grandparents were forced to relearn how to write with their right hand because back in their days being left handed was seen as being associated with the devil. Not cool.

Did you know that Joan of Arc (who was burned at the stake in 1431 for being a witch) is said to be left handed? Truth is, she may not actually be. People just said that because it made her seem "more evil."

There are also some pretty dumb myths about left handed stuff. For example, getting out of bed with your left foot first means you're going to have a bad day. That's where "getting up on the wrong side of the bed" came from. It's also been said that if you're going on some sort of journey and your right foot itches, it's going to be great. If your left one itches... well, your trip isn't going to be the best.

Come on, none of that is actually proven to be true.

And while today's lefties do not have to endure the pain of the lefties that came before us, we have to deal with some obnoxious problems.

1. Spiral notebooks and 3-ringed binders are the worst!

No, really. I always get indentions on my hand from trying to write on the normal side of the pad. And every lefty understands the binder struggle. First you have to fit your hand in between the top two rungs, than you have to move it to fit between the bottom two. Or if you're like me you just end up taking the paper out.

2. Scissors

My hands cramp every time. It's so hard to use the right handed scissors. Most schools don't offer a left handed option, so all the way until high school you just kinda had to suck it up.

3. Pens

So, ballpoint pens apparently flow best when you're pulling the ball. Lefties have to push it. No wonder I don't like using pens.

4. Hitting elbows with the righties at the dinner table.

At this point in my life, I know to either sit all the way on the inside of the left booth, or the outside of the right.

5. Dying sooner

It's a proven fact that left handed people die up to nine years sooner than right handed people. This could also just be a coincidence.

6. These desks.

There's 500 for righties and only one for lefties. You pretty much strain your back trying to use it.

7. The chord on the credit card machine pen is never long enough.

It just needs to be like 5 inches longer.

8. The struggle

9. And, finally, this.

I don't even have to say anything about it.

But lefties get our own day (August 13), and there are actually left handed stores in the world. Plus, whenever you meet a fellow leftie you automatically know, you get me.

To all my fellow lefties: keep pushing through and being fabulous!