Why Leaving Home Isn't Ideal, But Necessary

We all don't wanna, but we have to.

43
odysseyonline.com

In May I arrived home after surviving my first year at college. I had an entire three months before I had to leave for sorority recruitment. The months have now dwindled away and in just a few short days I will be leaving home for my sophomore year.

Goodbyes are down right my least favorite thing ever. For me, goodbyes are worse than watching Jojo Fletcher sending James Taylor home on "The Bachelorette." Obviously I am excited to see all of my friends that I have been apart from for months, however, something just doesn’t feel right.

I have never considered myself a “home body” but as I begin to pack my bags for the second time I have learned something very valuable: leaving home is not ideal, however, it is necessary.

In order for me to grow as an individual, I realized that I needed to be by myself. I couldn’t have my mom there to do my laundry or have my dad around to change my oil. I couldn’t have my best friend from Kindergarten by my side or my boyfriend to watch movies with daily. Staying home was not realistic. I cannot live under my mother’s roof for the rest of my life in the same town that I have lived in for the past nineteen years. I needed to meet new people, explore new places, and find myself.

Sure, I miss home. I miss my family. I miss my bed. I miss my friends. I miss my boyfriend. I miss my pets. The list could go on and on, but everything that exists for me in that small town I grew up in will always be there. My small hometown isn’t going anywhere and that is exactly why I can’t be there. In order for me to truly find myself, I had to leave home. Staying home meant being stuck. Stuck in the same routines with the same people every day. That was not how I wanted my life to be. Despite my mom arguing with me to stay home, I know deep down that this is exactly where I need to be. And wherever I end up years down the road I will thank my hometown for convincing me that leaving home was necessary.