Leaving Your Legacy

Leaving Your Legacy

Are you willing to give everything you have to leave a legacy you want?

45
Leaving Your Legacy
Monte Wyatt

"Not Everything. Not Yet." - Batman

It is so easy to find quotes from Batman that has such a lasting impression. This quote comes from the last installment of Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" Trilogy and is so simple, but the mere uttering of the words from Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman make it so powerful.

The scene is between Catwoman (portrayed by Anne Hathaway) and Batman. Batman is about to go toe-to-toe with Bane and try to save the city that he loves, but Catwoman tells him that he has given this city everything, to which he responds with the above quote. This scene it's meant as an act of selflessness, because Batman will give his life, even if it means that he can save the city he swore to protect.

I want to relate it to the choice of leaving a legacy. I say choice, because that is what it is. It is how you want to be defined and even when you aren't purposefully thinking about this concept, you are still leaving a legacy.

How do you want to be remembered?

It is such a hard thing to really ask yourself. Cause majority of people want to be remembered in a good way, but should just being remembered in a good way be enough? Should we try to achieve more than just a good thing? Why not give it everything to be remembered beyond good?

Now, I know that I am only 22, but isn't it better to start leaving a legacy while you are young? This gives you more chances to fail, learn, and come back even stronger. This allows you to find your passion and be able to completely explore it. This is the opportunity where you get to start, is the gist that I am getting at I guess.

Writing these articles is honestly a way that I choose to leave my legacy. I don't care if they reach a certain amount of people, but to the people that do read them, they get to sense my inner voice and really feel the meaning that I put within these articles. Each word is used to provide power to the overall message that I want to convey.

Back to the quote that I started this article off with. If you want to people to remember you a certain way, then it isn't a part-time thing. This has to be who you are and you shouldn't have to fake the person you want to be, it should be genuine. When you go forth in your endeavors, then you have to give it everything that you have. If you know that you have given it everything then you have a quiet reassurance and experience inner peace. But if you do not think that everything has truly been given, then you have to find it within yourself to push yourself that much further.

This will contribute to the legacy that you are leaving behind. People will pick up on what you are trying to do and it will bring both supporters and doubters. But you need both of these types of people, because one reassures you of what you are doing and the other motivates you to give it everything you have. This is all a part of your legacy.

Now, I don't have the secret to exactly everything you should and shouldn't do, but some things are just common sense and others you learn along the way. Don't give up being the person you want to be, because that person maybe the person that we need, like Batman was to Gotham. Your legacy is your story, let your story be one that you can look back on and know that whatever you did, you did it with a whole heart and you gave it everything that you had.

We have a finite time in life. Why not give it everything you have to leave a legacy that is worth talking about?