Leaving Behind Friends Who Shaped You

Leaving Behind Friends Who Shaped You

Columbus Crew, this is for you.

25
Leaving Behind Friends Who Shaped You
Luke Ellis Craven

I would never be able to say this in person.

But I think about you guys a lot. A lot more than you would think.

I'm so sorry for leaving and even more sorry for not saying a good, proper closing goodbye. I miss you guys so much and leaving was a heavier choice than you know. In hindsight, I would not have done it if I'd known that it would be this hard. I didn't think it through, classic me. I thought it wouldn't be emotional, but it was. I didn't show you guys that I was sad because I didn't want you to be hurt.

I want to thank you so much. College was a very, very hard transition for me, but you helped me so, so much. I love Boston and what I had there. You matter more to me than you'll ever know. A lot more than you would think.

I don't show it or express my feelings because for some reason it feels awkward and it makes me very uncomfortable. But you guys were my favorite friends. Other friends ask me to hang out, but I always felt a pang of anxiety and never wanted to hang out. I thought that was normal, but it isn't. You're the only people I could be myself around.

I can actually smile around you and be myself. I love hanging out with you guys -- if you guys wanted to go sky diving, I would do it. If you guys wanted to go dumpster diving, I would do it -- as long as you guys were there. But that's just with you guys.

Thank you for accepting me for me and helping me to develop my self-confidence. You have absolutely no idea how much of an impact you had on the much more confident Sophia. I used to hate myself and thought I was just born without a personality; but in reality, it was just hiding and waiting for the right people-- you guys. You made me, me.

I genuinely mean it when I say that I wouldn't be who I am today if I had never met you. I love spending time with you. I would never imagine people as accepting and remarkable as you exist. "You made me begin."

I miss you so much. Please stay in touch and know that I am probably thinking about you this very moment. As my mind runs through Columbus, our dinners, our jokes, and our trips together, I feel happy and a smile spreads. "Saying this makes me miss you even more." Please don't be sad or hurt that I'm not there. I miss you and will try to see you when I can.

Some part of me wishes that you won't ever read this. I just wanted to have these words out there somewhere rather than constantly nagging me inside my head. I will never forget the people that shaped me and brought me to life. You showed me what real friends do and how people who care about you should act.

The days pass a lot faster when you guys aren't here. Please don't ever change. Always keep your Hilarity, intelligenCe, and loyalTy. I will always keep you guys forever.