Learning To Turn The Other Cheek

Learning To Turn The Other Cheek

You Won't Find Fulfillment In Hurting The One Whose Words Hurt You.
59

He calls us to not burst out in anger, or spew hurtful words. But rather, God calls us to Turn the Other Cheek.

But it’s so hard. Sometimes it’s an automatic response. They insulted you, questioned you, or hurt your feelings and the only thing you can think to do is hurt them back. But, I have realized that arguing or insulting them back does not satisfy. When you hurt the one who’s words hurt you, you won’t feel fulfilled. But rather, you will feel the same. You won’t find any sort of comfort in the evil words that escape your mouth. You will not find comfort in spreading lies. But, you will find comfort in an action that maybe difficult to do. When you set aside your anger and learn to walk away. When you take the high-road or learn to turn the other cheek, you will feel fulfilled.

Now this doesn’t mean turning the other cheek will stop the insults, or hurtful words. But sometimes are actions can affect others. Which means, if we show compassion. If we show that their words will no longer hold us back, then maybe they will begin to realize that their words have meaning. Maybe, just maybe, they will no longer spew insults and instead share words of affirmation, and love.

I’ve learned that spreading love and grace is far great than spreading hate. So, it may be difficult. But, turn the other cheek.

“But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also.” Matthew 5:39