Learn To Love Your Alone Time In Order To Connect With Others

Taking a breather from your friends might make you appreciate them more.

774
Nikki Zielinski

The fast pace of college culture and the constant surrounding of chattering bodies conditions our psyches to depend on social interactions. With an existence dominated by endless exposure to new people and opportunities, the rare moments of calm amidst the tumult give us more anxiety than the social encounters themselves.

The only thing harder than being around people all day is being left alone—the mind finally has a chance to breathe and often wanders into musings better left unacknowledged.

Learning to cherish the periods of loneliness rather than fearing them is a skill best acquired over time. There is truly no better company than your own, and you can only be so available to others if you haven’t explored the interworkings of yourself yet. A pause from the action can be just as enjoyable as being immersed in it. You are the sole driver of the events that make up your day—no compromising or deliberation necessary.

Listening to just your whims without the opinions of others vying for attention is indescribably valuable in developing a clear sense of self. You have to know who you are in order to succeed.

Not everyone has to be a leader, but there’s no hiding in the shadow of another when thinking about your personal desires. Independence is integral to survival in this world; dependence is not sustainable, and can only result in disappointment when its impermanence is exposed.

During these moments of societal reprieve, it is wholly important to explore the fundamentals of your personality through introspection and consequential actions. I find music to be a great assistance in realizing different facets of myself.

Compile a playlist of songs that make you feel a certain way and blast them into your eardrums until all you hear is white noise — then, when you’ve recovered, look back later at what you created and see what the songs all have in common (or not, either way, leads to revelations).

The theme of the music oftentimes reflects emotions that have hidden deep in the recesses of your body, emotions that need to be confronted instead of stifled by further distractions.

Another worthwhile solitary endeavor is an immersion in nature. Taking a walk among the trees with only the whispers of the wind for company is undeniably therapeutic. Time outdoors relaxes the mind and refreshes the soul, minimizing all the fickle anxieties of everyday life in the presence of such unadulterated purity.

Of course, there are an innumerable amount of activities one can pursue in the event of alone time; the key is knowing yourself well enough to find which are beneficial for you.

Life is best experienced at a balance — neither all social nor all alone time would yield the most positive results. College students grapple with a tricky situation. Living, studying, and hanging out with peers is a dangerously enjoyable cycle. The moments of calm amidst the exciting tumult are those that are most loathed but carry hefty importance.

You can't connect with others if you lack the sense of self necessary to relate with them. As counterintuitive as it sounds, time alone may be the harbinger of an improved social life.