There Are Lessons To Be Learned In Movies

There are lessons to be learned in movies

We can take some lessons from the movies we love.

24

I know not everything in life is going to be like television or movies. As much as I want to have instances like my favorite movies I know it is highly unlikely. There isn't going to be a guy like Heath Ledger who will take over the sound system and sing for a girl he likes or there isn't going to be a guy who is verbatim Michael Scott. We want to have some parts of our life like a movie but its also good to just have our own thing.

However, there are certain things that you can take from television and movies that can apply to our lives and how we can grow. I don't mean to say that every single movie will have a lesson for you to learn from but there are hidden messages in some of our favorite movies.

Growing up after we left a movie my father would always ask me what I liked or what I learned from the movie. Sometimes I would wonder why does my dad want to know what I learned from a movie like "Spider-Man" or "The Blind Side" but I then realized these were ideas that could be used outside the silver screen. My dad always told me that one of his favorite words growing up was responsibility and with each of his children he always made sure we understood the true meaning and why it was important. As someone who had many talks about the idea of responsibility with my dad it made me remember the quote "With great power comes great responsibility."

It was with this phrase that I realized even though I don't have a physical power anything I can do or want to do becomes my responsibility. Even as someone who still sees movies with my dad I know that each movie has a deeper meaning to it even if it cant be spotted the first time.

While there are some lessons to be caught form the movies, something I have also started seeing on film and television is the celebration of characters. In an episode of "New Girl," Nick puts together a surprise party at the movie theatre for Jess where she spends her birthdays. In addition, he also creates a video of people who are close to Jess talking about how important and loved she is by everyone she meets. Watching this made me realize that this is something you can take and apply to situations in real life.

Sometimes people we know and are close with need a reminder of how important they are and doing sweet and memorable things like a video of their close friends and family can be the thing to bring them out of a funk.

As someone who has struggled many times in life with obstacles, I turn to motivation from movies to help ease the struggle. In the movie "Rocky Balboa," Rocky states to his son "It ain't about how hard you hit it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How Much you can take and keep moving forward." We are pushed and shoved many times in our life but it is up to us to show how we can respond to these occurrences.

I have always wondered what it would be like to be a specific character or have an instance like a movie but I realized there are opportunities to bring movies to life. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker were known for their relationship during the "Fast and Furious" movies and that relationship was on display after Paul Walker's death and in the drive-by scene between the two. Watching a part from this film made me realize that I can apply the relationship I have with my friends the way they had their relationship off camera. We learn things every day and while we shouldn't duplicate everything from movies there are lessons to be learned from.