How Learning About Past Lives Changed My Outlook On Death.

How Learning About Past Lives Changed My Outlook On Death

I no longer fear the unknown.

571

Death is something most people fear. I was among those who questioned what would happen when I died. Would I just cease to exist or would I pass on to some kind of afterlife? I always went back and forth with variations of these two, never really knowing what I believed. It wasn't until I came across past lives that I began to understand what happened after death.

Past lives or reincarnation is something most people have heard of but don't know exactly how it works. To summarize past lives/reincarnation as I understand it is that when we die our soul lives on but our ego does not. Our egos are our sense of identity that we have in this life. However, our true identity is that of our soul which never dies. Our souls go through various different lives, with the karma and untreated trauma each life brings carrying over into the next.

The book Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss introduced to me a deeper of past lives that he encountered as a therapist through past life regressions. His book focuses on the case of one woman he treats who recalls 86 different past lives. Another book that explains how events in past lives connect to our current lives is Other Lives Other Selves by Roger Woolger.

The author of these two books were skeptics of life after death and reincarnation. They were only convinced after years of their practice. Plus, there are countless documented instances of children remembering past lives such as the story of a three-year-old boy who remembered a past life where he is murdered and is able to locate the body and identify the killer.

Through learning about past lives my outlook on death has changed. I now have a firmly held belief in what I think happens after someone dies. There have been multiple studies conducted regarding past life memories, which support my belief of reincarnation. However, I still acknowledge that this is just a belief. I think it's arrogant for any human to claim they without a doubt "know" what happens when someone dies. Nonetheless, learning about past lives has completely changed my outlook on death from fear of the unknown to another step in the evolutionary process.