6 Things I've Learned From My Toxic Parent

The things I've learned from my childhood.

1323

First of all if you're reading this, I'd like to start off by saying I am so sorry.

If you too grew up with a toxic parent, you surely didn't have the childhood all your friends had. There are so many things that I've learned but I chose to share six with you today.I hope that this can help others know that they are not alone and its a long, difficult and emotional journey. You can get though this.

1. I'm not worthless.

No matter how many times an emotionally unstable, drunk, or physically abusive parent tells you that you are worthless just remember, you are not. I know that is so much easier said that done. Especially when it plays over and over in your head and leaves you spinning.

2. I am so strong.

Sometimes it feels like the world is crashing down or like nothing can go right. When the person at Starbucks spells my name wrong and I get irritated, its so hard to refocus on what is really important. The fact that at the age of 17 I practically took on the world makes that Starbucks drink seem so small.

3. You do not control me.

I know as children we always want to be able to look up to our parents and aspire to be just like them. Well not all of us. Sometimes being a Toxic parent can simply be a controlling parent. With that being said a parent who cares and disciplines differs from a controlling parent. Knowing that difference is key.

You do not control me.

As you grow up you find yourself looking over your shoulder wondering if your parent would like if you did this, or that, or you wonder how your parents will react to every decision you make. Bottom line is, a good parent supports you no matter what. And if you make the wrong decision you see, they support you too. Thats what a real parent does.

4. This isn't my fault.

For whatever reason, you were dealt the worst parent card in the deck. I want you to know this isn't your fault. This is something so much bigger and you are perfect just the way you are.

Know that this isn't because you didn't sleep through the night as a baby, or because you hated eating green beans. Regardless of what you think you've done to make your toxic parent this way know that it wouldn't change the outcome of this relationship.

5. I am not alone.

Somewhere out there is someone who thinks that they are alone in all of this, maybe its you. I'm here to tell you that you are not. Cling to those in your life that are healthy.

Whether that be family by blood or friends that call themselves family. I know it can be hard to trust these people especially when you've been through all of this but put your guard down. They want to help you.

6. I am going to be an amazing parent.

It seems like the first thought of being a parent after having the worst is so scary. You worry that you won't do this right or that right. And what if you act just like your toxic parent.

I'm here to tell you to stop in your tracks. Growing up with that Toxic parent has taught you everything you don't want to do with your own child. YOU can break the cycle and I know you will.