4 Things I Learned By The End Of My First Semester In Senior Year

Don't end your chapter wishing you could rewrite it

45
Allison Galanty

Going into senior year, I was filled with excitement, anxiety, and an open mind. It was so crazy that my graduating year I heard as a first grader was finally just around the corner. If I didn’t leave an impression on my fellow peers the past three years, this was going to be the year I did. All throughout high school, I was always just trying to get by. School was never something I considered to be “enjoyable.” I never really had an interest in attending any social events, or even bothered to go. But this year was different. I attended (almost) every football game, plan to go to every dance that will be held, and made and will continue to make a ton of other memories I will never forget. Here is a list of things I learned in my semester of senior year

1. You will become friends with people you wish you had met or gotten to know better your freshman year.

I cannot stress this first one enough. It may sound cliché, but there are so many people I began talking to this year whether it be through my classes, social events, or even common interests that I wish I had three more years to spend with.

2. Don't be afraid to be who you really are.

Looking back on my high school career, I tried so hard for everyone to like me, which sure enough, wasn’t the way to go! Coming into senior year, I realized that there was no better time than to show my classmates who I really was, and guess what? Some of them ended up really liking me for my true self rather than my cringe-worthy past self. And if your classmates don't end up liking you for who you, who cares! You've only got a few months with them anyways.

3. No one really cares about what you've done in the past.

The past is old news. I can assure you that every high school senior can admit to doing something they regret, but that doesn’t mean you should stay stuck in the past. Rather than replaying that embarrassing moment when you slipped and fell flat on your face in front of your crush, think about that time you ranked in the top 100 of your classmates. Take the time to applaud yourself for all of the countless accomplishments you were able to achieve instead of kicking yourself for a few embarrassing moments you had throughout high school.

4. Enjoy high school while you still can.

Unlike any other grade, it's true when they say senior year flies by. Take it from me. My entire first semester was spent touring colleges, worrying about completing college applications, and then followed by anxiously waiting for those college acceptance letters to come in, all while still trying to maintain a decent gpa. Let me tell you, senioritis is REAL. To be quite honest, I think it might have hit me sophomore year, but that's besides the point. It is so hard to stay focused on the present when so many exciting changes lie ahead. Now lets be honest here, is that one disappointing grade really going to matter in a year? Or even a month from now? No. So enjoy senior year while you still can! I'm not saying grades aren't important, but what is important is that you end with a memorable senior year. So go to that basketball game. Sign up for that spirit event. Go to that dance. Don't have a date? Go anyways. Senior year is all about closing one chapter of your book and beginning a new one, so don't end your chapter wishing you could rewrite it.