We all have people in our lives that we look up to—those role models that teach us a thing or two because they know a thing or two. Without them, we would miss out on some of the most important life lessons. Sometimes, those special people are covered in fur. Here are a few things I've picked up from my favorite felines over the years.

1. Be persistent for what you love

My cats never miss a beat when it comes to getting their favorite treats.

2. It’s okay to “sleep on it"

When faced with an important decision, there's no shame in taking a little extra time to clear your head.

3. Talk is cheap

Cats are creatures of few words, but their "airplane ears" are hard to misinterpret.

4. Show others your affection for them constantly

My cats are always happy to give my hand some love nips when they're feeling a little extra needy.

5. Never miss an opportunity to be there for someone else

I can't think of a better study buddy.

6. Give more than you take

Some food, a napping spot, and a lap are all it takes to make a cat's day.

7. Take some time out of every day to enjoy a moment

Even adult cats find amusement in watching the laser pointer zip around the room once in a while.

8. Some things are worth waiting for

The crack of a can of cat food opening never fails to summon my friends with fur from the perch they've lazily been in all day.

9. Good friends can last a lifetime

Friendships don't happen overnight, as anyone who's adopted a cat knows, but once a connection has formed, there's no telling when it will end.

10. Life is too short to be upset over the small things

Anyone who's lost their best friend knows how much they would've given for one more day with them.