11 Things I Learned From Having Divorced Parents

Everything is a life lesson.

As I was about halfway through writing another article, I spoke to both of my parents. Shortly after both conversations had ended, I realized what an odd series of experiences I've had following my parents' divorce. I would love to tell you the seven, almost eight years have been easy and civil, but I can't lie like that. Regardless, I have learned a lot from this series of interesting events.

1. Communication take work.

Communication takes work to do correctly, whether it's communicating with my parents myself, between my parents or helping my parents understand what my sisters and I want.

2. Things change fast.

One moment you're home and the next you're not. Things and plans move at a rapid pace, and you can't be upset about it; you have to roll with it.

3. Everyone makes mistakes.

My parents make mistakes, I know I've made my fair share and so do the professionals.

4. How to be an adult.

I really felt like I was forced to grow up pretty fast after the divorce. This isn't always a bad thing, though. It taught me how to grow up and be independent.

5. Speak up for yourself.

There is never a guarantee that you will get what you want, but at the very least you know you tried.

6. You are stronger than you think.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left.

7. The definition of family.

There is no way to define it. At the end of the day, they are here for you and love you unconditionally.

8. You are still worthy of love.

I have legitimately had professionals question my sisters and I on our ability to find love in the future. Piece of advice, don't listen to them.

9. It takes time to heal.

That goes for everyone involved. Some people are going to take longer to heal, too.

10. Not everyone learns from their mistakes.

You would love to believe that people can mess up and grow from it. Sometimes people just don't see this on the first few tries...or 20.

11. The legal system is flawed.

I don't want to rant on this, but long story shorts no one really cares. Money gets you the furthest and it's a sad truth.