What I Learned From Being A Theatre Kid

What I Learned From Being A Theatre Kid

It taught me a lot.
32

As some of you may know, I was a major theatre geek in high school. I went to a special arts high school from musical theatre and planned on majoring in theatre in college. Obviously, theatre was and still is a huge part of my life; so here are some of the major life lessons theatre has taught me.

Hope For The Best, Expect The Worst

Most theatre kids here this every audition season, because you need to give it your all, work your butt off, and still think that you might not get it. It's a hard way of thinking but, it keeps you from feeling a lot of pain from rejection and it is necessary in life.

Criticism

I received the most criticism when I attended my arts high school, we would perform and them both our classmates and teachers would tell us what they thought we needed to change. It was difficult to get used to hearing this every day but it has given me a better understanding of how to self-correct as well as how to give others criticism without attacking.

Group Work

Most of the time, you will not be doing a one man show, so you're going to be working with a company. Sometimes you won't get along with all your cast mates, but you still have to work with them and make the connection seem real on stage. This is important to do for everyday life, because no matter what field you go into you will work with people you don't like, but you have to pull together and do your job right.

Comparison

Many times throughout my acting phase I've been compared to other people or have been told to do something in the way another person does. It is important, especially for me, to not compare myself to others. You are your own person and your performance will never be the same as someone else's. I think it's important to work on improving yourself to create the best you in every aspect of life, regardless of what others may be doing or what they have achieved.