Laser Marking Technology and it's variant utilization

Laser Engraving is a method of marking an object with the help of a laser based machinery.

20
Photo by Erfan Afshari on Unsplash

Usually this method of engraving uses fiber laser, UV laser machine. Types of laser marking are stated below :

* Etching

* Engraving

* Carbon Migration

Unlike alternative engraving methods, laser marking technology does not involve the inclusion of ink and other etching tools as they erode the uppermost surface of an object.

Laser marking is a highly engineered technology thus making the process speedy and automated. It can be used on multiple surfaces such as wood, plastic, steel, aluminum, paper etc.

# How does Laser Marking function?

Basically the laser marker through it's highly concentrated beam marks the surface of an object. Due to this specificity these machines are able to produce premium quality engraving.

The UV laser maker has a wavelength of 355NM works at an inferior speed when used on surfaces such as plastic, glass etc.

UV markers and some other laser marker are 'cold laser' meaning they exude less energy making them really efficient and they exert very little heat which protects the object surface.

Fiber lasers have a wavelength of 1070NM, so these machines are rather used in industrial purposes for engraving on stealthier objects ( iron, aluminum ).

# Industrial application of Laser Marking

Laser Marking Technologies date back to 1978 when it was first recorded to use. It is indeed a modern invention that has benefitted humankind for the good.

Each and every product that are purchasable in the market has it's individual Unique ID codes, barcodes, product description, 2D data Matrix codes.

In case of different materials the speed and distance gradually decreases so as to not corrupt the material. The process then gets divided into two, direct heating and indirect heating.

Direct Heating - Laser marking when done on flexographic cylinders are very common. The first use of this was done with a carbon dioxide laser which evaporated the surface of rubber plates without the use of chemicals or photography.

Inidrect Heating - Sub Surface Laser Engraving ( SSLE ) is another laser engraving process involving the printing of graphics on a transparent surface of a light weighted object but through creating micro fractures in the sub layer only.

# Why is Laser Marking still in use?

Laser marking has succesfully replaced other printing processes.

Laser marking aids in basic identification a product ( for isntance, wine gift set almost always have barcodes attached on the bottom ) and also in indicating where the packages of any product are being shipped to.

Due proper quality marking, products are easily traced and this directly assists a clear chain of supply.

The zero ink and use of tools result in minimum waste, hence it's eologically sustainable.

Lastly, laser marking is extremely dynamic but the dominant problem is that these are heavy weight machine, motly built for big scale usage.

Since the pademic, local businesses are facing problem in getting hold of either a Fiber or an UV laser. Click here moving companies Los Angeles to find out the unified process.