Diversity in PWI
Race

Diversity in My PWI?!

We need diversity.

158
Diversity in My PWI?!
https://www.pexels.com/photo/four-group-of-people-smiling-and-laughing-together-1530313/

The simple answer is "Yes it does" but to better understand it is important to familiarize ourselves with the definition of diversity.

According to Merriam-Webster, Diversity means

1: the condition of having or being composed of differing elements: Variety especially: the inclusion of different types of people (such as people of different races or cultures) in a group or organization

2: an instance of being composed of differing elements or qualities: an instance of being diverse

The college that I currently attend is a PWI (predominantly white institution) and in my sophomore year, I came to the realization that the lack of diversity is ultimately harming student's ability to learn about the world around them. For many students, college is the first time that they are able to experience the world independently from their parents. In addition, it is also common for students to leave their hometown to attend college.

For many students just being out of their hometown is a learning experience. Having a lack of diversity in college is like the college only offering one class. In this example it is really easy to imagine how a college only offering one course would be detrimental to students learning. So why is it so hard to understand that diversity in our professors and staff on campus is beneficial to students.

As stated in the first definition above learning about many different elements or in this case cultures helps students to be in themselves more diverse. Everyone has something that they can share or teach you, you just have to be open to the experience. By learning not only about other cultures but being taught by people from those cultures allows students to have the ability to continue learning outside of class time.

Diversity in colleges is a crucial part of students learning. Not only the curriculum in class but outside the classroom too.