For some reason, French quotes seem to be popular among many people today - especially girls - on social media. I am sure you have heard of "c'est la vie" (such is life), and "la vie est belle" (life is beautiful), or at least came across these quotes written in pretty fonts on Pinterest, VSCO, and Tumblr. In fact, I would be quite surprised if you haven't. Something about saying inspirational things in French makes them sound so much more elegant, classy, and precise - I guess that's why they're the new aesthetic all over my feed. I never took French, although I have realized that the language has this romantic way about it that can transform any basic, cliché English phrase into something that sounds sophisticated. I guess that is what attracted me to one in particular, "La Vie en Rose," in the first place, when I watched a vlog of one of my favorite YouTubers getting it tattooed on her in an elegant cursive font. I did not really know what it meant, but it sounded stunning, and it intrigued me to find out more about what would soon be my personal mantra.

Literally, "La Vie en Rose" translates to "Life in Pink," but theoretically, it means to live life through rose-colored glasses. The idea behind this is that the color of a pink rose radiates the beauty, romance, and positivity in life… so to view life through a rose colored lense means to embrace it for it's best qualities and live unbiased in search of true beauty. When I read through all this information on what this means, I actually did remember hearing something similar… but not shed in the same light. Many people refer to living life through rose-colored glasses, as living a naive life, describing a state where one fails to come to terms with the harsh reality of the truth. As a matter of fact, my horoscope once warned me, a Gemini, not to face life with rose-colored glasses during a particularly rough week… but why wouldn't you?! The French definition does not suggest you shake off any worries; it just recommends you take them into consideration with a viewpoint in a rosy tint; a more positive and accepting attitude.

The embodiment of "La Vie en Rose" is illustrated beautifully in the movie Sabrina, starring Audrey Hepburn, as she writes her father a letter on a balcony in Paris about how she found happiness while men play the song, "La Vie en Rose," behind her. It depicts a change in perspective and is inspiring to the teenage girl, which is relatable to girls everywhere and can be applied to others regardless of their stage of life.

In today's society, beauty has been predetermined for us based on what is considered the norm on different social platforms. I do not believe this is the ideal way to live… finding the beauty in the smallest of things in everyday life has real value. When everything is pink, it is up to the eye of the beholder to choose what is beautiful in life; with a view like this, it is easy to become more accepting of the elegant things in life, like a pink rose. Pink has always been my favorite color (which is probably why I gravitated toward this quote, if I am being honest) but the concept remains the same whether you choose to view life in orange, yellow, or green… if it depicts your state of serenity and happiness, then refuse to live life in any other way. Sometimes when life gets too overwhelming, regardless of the circumstances, putting on pink glasses and looking at life through a rose hue can make all the difference. I have surely found it does for me, and I recommend you give it a chance.